APS claiming users copyright.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

method

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
"When you post User Content to the web site, you authorize and direct us to make such copies thereof as we deem necessary in order to facilitate the posting and storage of the User Content on the web site. By posting User Content to any part of the web site, you automatically grant, and you represent and warrant that you have the right to grant, to Aussie Pythons & Snakes an irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, transferable, fully paid license to use, copy, publicly perform, publicly display, reformat, translate, excerpt (in whole or in part) and distribute such User Content for any purpose, commercial, advertising, or otherwise, on or in connection with the web site or the promotion thereof and to prepare derivative works of, or incorporate into other works, such User Content. You may submit a request to remove your User Content from the Site at any time, however it is at the sole discression of Aussie Pythons & Snakes as to whether this content will be removed from the web site. If you are granted permission to remove your User Content, the license granted above will automatically expire, however you acknowledge that Aussie Pythons & Snakes may retain archived copies of your User Content. Aussie Pythons & Snakes does not assert any ownership over your User Content; rather, as between us and you, subject to the rights granted to us in these Terms, you retain full ownership of all of your User Content and any intellectual property rights or other proprietary rights associated with your User Content."

http://www.aussiepythons.com/terms-of-use

----------------------------------------------------------------

To the APS staff this really is pretty damn sneaky, and to tell you the truth this is the first time on any forum/website apart from major "competitions" that I have ever seen who are trying to claim automatic copyright use of a users posted photos. Seems quite unnecessary in my opinion as it has always seemed the site has had no problem in requesting pictures on say calendar comp from time to time basis etc.

Now when it comes to hot linking from another site such as flickr, imageshack and photo bucket I assume these terms of use go out the window as these items haven’t been uploaded to aps's archives?

Also just to confirm these terms of use mean that it is only content posted from the date of July 1st? Or does this technically mean that aps wants copyright to photos posted from years back up to now?

Also thought I'd mention I’m not criticizing aps blah blah blah but I thought this community should have some discussion and say on the matter first, I don’t particularly feel like an infraction today. =P

This has always been the case.

In order to show your content on our site, we need to be able to copy it (for example, between servers, onto our content distribution network, for backups, etc). I might tone down the language a bit to make this clearer, but we WILL NOT sell your content to 3rd parties.

Also, please note the last sentence - "you retain full ownership of all of your User Content and any intellectual property rights or other proprietary rights associated with your User Content."

Also, please note the last sentence - "you retain full ownership of all of your User Content and any intellectual property rights or other proprietary rights associated with your User Content."

And yet we can't request the removal of our copyright protected content from this site..... well, we can, but it won't be granted.

Its no different from posting pictures on facebook beebo twitter or any other site on the internet its apart of the terms and condition to there site that they own any picture that is upload to the site. People never take the time to read the terms and condition to any sites. The other sites do sell of your pictures and info to third parts.

And yet we can't request the removal of our copyright protected content from this site..... well, we can, but it won't be granted.
As a forum site, we run into issues with stuff like this. Firstly, people want to remove content that is pertient to an existing conversation. If someone requested that the first post in a long thread be removed, it would remove all context from the rest of the thread and this would cause issues.

Another problem exists with quotes. If someone quotes your original post, do we then have to go through and remove all quotes to that post also?

Finally, content is cached all over the place. Even if it gets removed from our site, it would still be cached at Google, Yahoo, Bing, the Internet Archive, etc. Such is the nature of the Internet.

We could debate this all day - but I think the idea is, once you post it it's there for the world to see, however we promise not to sell your work as our own.

Doesn't matter what other sites do it, fc, I know many others do it as well. Doesn't mean I agree with it :)

Contrary to what Adam has said in another thread, their terms do allow them a whole lot more than merely keeping your photos if you get booted from the site... hell, it specifically mentions commercial use.

Personally I've now deleted all previous attachments and photographs submitted to galleries.

Doesn't matter what other sites do it, fc, I know many others do it as well. Doesn't mean I agree with it :)

Contrary to what Adam has said in another thread, their terms do allow them a whole lot more than merely keeping your photos if you get booted from the site... hell, it specifically mentions commercial use.

Personally I've now deleted all previous attachments and photographs submitted to galleries.
Like I said, I want to get this wording exactly right. I'll do my best to reword that particular sentence tonight.

I have made some adjustments, let me know what you think.

I think there should be an option to remove your own pics from threads should the need arise,eg:if you get booted from the site.

If not perhaps APS could pay members for each pic they post,afterall most pics are put up for the benefit of its members and in turn the site.

as far as i know most other sites are the same. anything you post on them becomes their property. your agree to this when you join these site and click that you have read the terms. if you click and havent read the terms, then thats your problem. you either agree to the terms or dont. if you dont, you then have a choise of not posting on that site or find another site

On a side note, in the APS email sent out it states the subscription costs are going up to $15! That is three times the current cost! Seems rather excessive for 'recouping costs'

The current cost is $10, it has been $10 since subscriptions were introduced almost 2 years ago. This is the first time it has gone up sine that time.

Nothing in life is free these days. You have to expect to pay something to cover their costs and $15 a year is incredibly reasonable.

i agree with fuscus,if i want to find the information,experience and friends that i have found on a site like this,i would have to pay highly or find someone in my area that would pass on their help just as freely,so i see no reason not to pay subs,gladly pay themin fact.the subs are no more than i pay for a yearly sub for my Peacekeepers and Peacemakers Association

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back