As if gecko naming wasn't tricky enough !!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

geckodan

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I have borrowed this post from another site as I thought it was quite interesting.

"A recent paper, using mitochondrial DNA data, provides new insight into our understanding of gecko evolution and phylogenetic relationships and necessitates a change in nomenclature. Diplodactlyus has been split up and Lucasium resurrected.
The current species content of Diplodactlyus is:
Diplodactylus conspicillatus; D. fulleri; D. galeatus; D. granariensis; D. kenneallyi; D. klugei; D. mitchelli; D. ornatus; D. polyopthalumus; D. pulcher; D. savagei; D. tessellatus; D. vittatus.

The current species content of Lucasium is (keep in mind that the gender of the specific names has been changed, Diplodactlyus stenodactylus for example becomes Lucasium stenodactylum):
Lucasium alboguttatum; L. byrnei; L. damaeum; L. immaculatum; L. maini; L. occultum; L. squarrosum; L. steindachneri; L. stenodactylum; L. wombeyi. "

Here is the full citation:
Oliver,P. M., M. N. Hutchinson, and S. J. B. Cooper. 2007. Phylogenetic relationships in the lizard genus Diplodactylus Gray and resurrection of Lucasium Wermuth(Gekkota, Diplodactylidae). Australian Journal of Zoology 55: 197–210

Nice. It's consistent with what you'd likely come up with if you were to try to split them into two groups based on a visual inspection. Good stuff.

Sdaji, is there a taxonomic reason that they had to fiddle with the species name (i.e. could they have just called it Lucasium stenodactylus rather than L. stenodactylum ) or do the nomenclature rules not allow this. ?????

Dan,
It is the form of Latin, I'm not a student of Latin but have been involved with enough Taxonomists for some to rub off.
Notice the original poster mentioned the gender. With Latin and French and Spanish and others the Gender is important eg your Amigo is a male friend while Amiga is a female friend and so forth.
So the Genera and the Spp must conform to the correct gender. Can't remember which is male and which is female but basically it appears that Diplodactylus and Lucasium are different genders therefore when the Genera changed from one to the other, the species names have to slightly change to conform to the changed gender also.
This is my understanding anyway :)
This happens quite frequently.
Do you have a PDF copy of the paper ??? I am interested in one. Obviously I will now search the web to see if available there as well :)
Regards
Euan

Dan,
It is the form of Latin, I'm not a student of Latin but have been involved with enough Taxonomists for some to rub off.
Notice the original poster mentioned the gender. With Latin and French and Spanish and others the Gender is important eg your Amigo is a male friend while Amiga is a female friend and so forth.
So the Genera and the Spp must conform to the correct gender. Can't remember which is male and which is female but basically it appears that Diplodactylus and Lucasium are different genders therefore when the Genera changed from one to the other, the species names have to slightly change to conform to the changed gender also.
This is my understanding anyway :)
This happens quite frequently.
Do you have a PDF copy of the paper ??? I am interested in one. Obviously I will now search the web to see if available there as well :)
Regards
Euan

Thanks for that. Didn't catch the gender thing in the initial bit I posted. Interesting.

Send me your email and I'll send a copy

Nice. It's consistent with what you'd likely come up with if you were to try to split them into two groups based on a visual inspection. Good stuff.

Except D.pulcher which is much more like the new Lucasiums in shape, size, feeding and mannerisms

Based on this I assume Lucasium is male in gender

Luca =
English translation/equivalent: Luke

Origin: Abbreviated form of the Latin Lucanus, name of ethnic origin that means "citizen of Lucania."

So I now have D.tesselatus & L.steindachneri??? LOL it's not always common names that are confusing...

So I now have D.tesselatus & L.steindachneri??? LOL it's not always common names that are confusing...

You'll have to change your signature now. Also note that Haemisphaeridon gerrardi is now Cyclodomorphus gerrardi and change that while you are at it.

You'll have to change your signature now. Also note that Haemisphaeridon gerrardi is now Cyclodomorphus gerrardi and change that while you are at it.

Nice Danny... I know the changing of Haemispharidon to Cyclodomorphus makes things alot easier for me to follow....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back