Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
u must have the patience of a saint moloch,lol.....even so ,terriffic pics,well done and ty for sharing.... will now wait quietly for Pt 2 :D:D

awsome pics mate.
wish i could travle insearch for the gold u found!
+2 on a sticky

I included photos of Strophurus krisalys and S. ciliaris in the main portion of this post but I thought that I would add a little more information about these two. S. krisalys was separated from S. ciliaris in 2005. S. krisalys is found in central Queensland while S. ciliaris is much more widely distributed. The following is link to a paper on the net that describes the reason for the separation and also illustrates the distribution of these geckos.

http://www.maq.org.au/organisation/e_prints/mqm_51_2/51_2_Sadlier-et-al_2.pdf

Windorah is one of the places in southwestern Queensland where the two species live in close proximitiy. I found a S. ciliaris perhaps 50km southeast of Windorah along the road towards Quilpie. I also found a S. krisalys a few kilometers west of Windorah.

Here are photos of the two. S. ciliaris is on the right and S. krisalys is on the left. The mouth colour is yellow in S. ciliaris whereas it is blue in S. krisalys (not visible in my photos). Another difference is the single line of turbercles on each side of the body in S. ciliaris and a double line in S. krisalys (visible). In my sample size of 1 S. krisalys, the spines on the tail were also smaller than those of S. ciliaris but I don't know if this feature is typical of this species.

Strophurus_krisalys20_600.jpg
Strophurus_ciliaris20_600.jpg

Strophurus_krisalys21_600.jpg
Strophurus_ciliaris21_600.jpg

Strophurus_krisalys22_600.jpg
Strophurus_ciliaris22_600.jpg

Regards,
David

Thanks, Kirby and Lonewolf.

Lonewolf,
They are all my pics. I have headed out often in the last 3.5 years to photograph reptiles.

Regards,
David

again thanksdavid really great , no i mean it really great ! now my son has seen it he is even keener on getting a gecko . So any body reading this thread that has an entry level gecko ? (cheap and easy ) please pm me THANKS
oops of topic sort of sorry

Absolutely stunning photography David... awesome post !!!

when did they change the ring-tail from "Louisiadensis" though ?

cheers HK.

I think I might have found you another example of a WA Beaked Gecko, the lil guy was spotted by one of our drillers, it was trying to run under a safety step, we relocated off the pad and I got a few photos seeing as we couldn't ID it. Can you confirm if it is a Beaked Gecko or something else?

For the record it was in an area called Mesa Gap 40 odd km east of Newman, lots of termite mounds around here so it fits with your explanation.

Attachments

• Possible Beaked Gecko.jpg
    Possible Beaked Gecko.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 150
Thanks, Rodney, HK and Nighteyes.

HK, the name is actually an old one but I think that it returned to "acceptance" last year. Stewart (reptilesdownunder) will have more details (but he might be off to Darwin at the moment).

Yes, that is another Beaked Gecko, Nighteyes. Thanks for the pic. It sounds like it was lucky that you were there.

Regards,
David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back