asian house gecko

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

giggle

Reaction score
what do you do with these when you find them?

Also, other than claws on the toes, how can you identify them? The spikes on the tail? I caught a bunch, one looks a bit different. Two seem to have very flat heads and the mottled pattern forms lines down the side and the other has only spots and seems to have a rounder head. He is missing a portion of his toes so using any claw method of ID is out. Though he does have the spines at the base of his tail. He was caught in the sliding glass door, I opened it and when I did I noticed something wriggling in the bottom, he was stuck. I rescued him, thought he was dead cause he was limp in my hand. When I put him in a spare enclosure though he sprung to life! lol He behaves differently to the others as well. Maybe a matter of age?

Ari

He is missing claws on all of his feet?
The tail tubercles are only on original tails, can you post a pic?

I get a few around where i live,however i went up to QLD last Thursday and the motel we stayed at i caught 11 but atleast 7escaped...Within 30minutes i caught my first Keelback..Thats right,if in doubt its defiantly a Keelback..lol...Ive been told to freeze them...but i wont do that...

Kill them....

I think they're cute, too.... I even had one really skinny baby that I helped feed up for a few months before winter. But they are crawling wall-toads.... I see 30 AHG every night, but have only seen 2 native gex at my place since moving here 9 months ago :( They are one of the few environmental impacts we can really make at home.

Just donk them, or pierce their heads with something sharp. Sorry if I sound cruel :cry: but they need to go.

Is there a way for ppl in NSW to get them on licence if they catch them in QLD?. I every few months do a mass cull at my place i feel very mean doing it but it needs to be done as there is native gex to think about.

What would the benefit be for ppl to be allowed to have them on licence?

I think that there's the bigger picture to consider... while scenting with geckos does work, it's potentially an evolutionary step BACKWARD for a young troublesome snake, and, IMO, should be considered a last resort, anyway.

Would we feel it was okay to keep and breed cane toads or feral kittnes to help our troublesome feeders? I doubt it. AHGs are having a major effect on the niches of native gex, particularly up north, and the overall conservation of our Oz environmental status is much more important than a few individual snakes that benefit from gecko scenting.

LOL all i asked was is there a way 4 NSW ppl to get them on licence from up here, and that hasnt been answered. Plus i think (if u wer refering to hatchies) they rnt gunna be able to eat a kitten and the only thing that eats toads is a keelback, and they will eat rodents too.

Okay, I wasn't having a go, I was explaining why I think it's not a good idea, in my opinion. The kitten and toad reference was just an example. Sorry, I didn't see that you are only 15 - I would have dumbed it down if I had.

To answer your question, no, you can't have them on licence.

Kill them....

I think they're cute, too.... I even had one really skinny baby that I helped feed up for a few months before winter. But they are crawling wall-toads.... I see 30 AHG every night, but have only seen 2 native gex at my place since moving here 9 months ago :( They are one of the few environmental impacts we can really make at home.

Just donk them, or pierce their heads with something sharp. Sorry if I sound cruel :cry: but they need to go.

IMO theres just too many off them..i caught 11 and about 7 got away,that was just from the motel..imagine if i walked aroung looking for them..just too many..The only way to put a dint in the population is for everyone that catches any to kill humanely,and have a cull every 6months or so like they do with cane toads..

I have a cull at my place almost nightly, 73 ;) I'm trying to do my bit! But, I feel bad when I can see that they're gravid :( There's still an element of guilt, unfortunately.

Considering AHG are only found in or around human settlement I think killing them on site would actually have some effect in the populations, unlike cane toads that have breeding populations anywhere and everywhere they can

I think so, too, Geckoman. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any more native gex for my efforts. Pity.

Congrats on your eggs, btw :)

the only issue with killing them on site is some less experienced people may very will miss id them and be killing dtellas and the like

the only issue with killing them on site is some less experienced people may very will miss id them and be killing dtellas and the like
Yeah thats a bit of a problem, I dont think people should unless they know how to properly ID them.
I once posted a Dtella Id thread on here and even though I asked what type of DTELLA it was a got a number of posts with people swearing it was a AHG

Kristy thats ok, lol the only reason i do monthy ones and not try to erradicate them fully is because at my house there is mozzies, moths ect.. in large numbers and they keep them under controll

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back