Aspen bedding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mack86

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm using Aspen bedding and quite like it and don't plan on changing over to newspaper or anything like that but was wondering, when my snake was eating on Sunday I noticed he ingested a small amount of the substrate. He is 5 months old. Logic tells me if they can break down bones etc a bit of Aspen won't hurt but when I looked at the bag it specifically says to feed in a separate container to avoid impaction. Just wondering if I should now be feeding him in a seperate container from now on. Hopefully he will be okay?

Any advice would be appreciated.

I'd say most snakes have gotten away with eating a little substrate in their lives so I'm sure he'll be fine, but impaction is always a risk and its easy to mitigate so why not avoid it? Instead of feeding in a different container, you could just lay down a sheet of newspaper on top of the substrate before you feed and then take it away once he's done, keeps things nice and clean and stops substrate from sticking to whatever they're eating. I feel like it's easier and less stressful for the snake, especially if they're a fussy eater, it might be difficult to get them to feed outside of their enclosure.

Good luck :)

My Dad's stimmie won't eat out of it's enclosure, so I showed him how to get his snake to strike at it and when it's holding it use it's cold or hot hide (whichever one it's not currently in) and place it upside down and put snake in it, that way it's still in it's enclosure but eating in the turned over hide stops it from eating substrate.

My Dad's stimmie won't eat out of it's enclosure, so I showed him how to get his snake to strike at it and when it's holding it use it's cold or hot hide (whichever one it's not currently in) and place it upside down and put snake in it, that way it's still in it's enclosure but eating in the turned over hide stops it from eating substrate.
This is also a good idea ! Thanks

Back