Atherton Tablelands

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bundy_zigg

Reaction score
We decided to take a weekend trip up to the Atherton Tablelands to do a spot of herping and bird watching. Our first stop of our trip was just west of Innisfail at a new canopy boardwalk called Mamu. Unfortunately for us it was raining so we only did a quick walk through - it is stunning. While there we manage to see a beautiful python about 5m below us who had just recently had a LARGE feed, the rain how ever got heavier so we headed back to the car.

We chose to stay at The Canopy Tree Houses in Tarzali - which I highly recommend.
We got to see some wonderful birds who will happily take food from you and the possums come in at night to be fed on your balcony.

Anyway here are some pictures of our trip
Nat

The first one is a view from the first platform
then a view of down the walk way - gives you an idea of how high it is.
then the lovely python - I'm not too sure what it is but i think a scrubby?
and another boardwalk pic
and the first platform - which I must say is some what scary!!

Attachments

• 20081020_2.jpg
    20081020_2.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 107
  • 20081020_9.jpg
    20081020_9.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 97
  • 20081020_13.jpg
    20081020_13.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 252
  • 20081020_20.jpg
    20081020_20.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 86
  • 20081020_1.jpg
    20081020_1.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 97
The place looks beautiful, Nat. We did not stop there but continued further up the road and then went on a circuit walk by a couple of waterfalls. Palmerston Gorge is really a spectacular place.

The python looks contended.

What were the interesting birds that you encountered?

Regards,
David

Wow it was a big feed. Based on whats in that area what do you think he ate? bird? possum?

Nat, you always make me jealous when you post FNQ photos lol Damn it is beautiful up there. Great photos too!

*the beautiful Macleay's Honeyeater - these guys are super cute, I even had one come in the house and bust open the bread - not to mention the times he tried to pinch some of my sandwich.

*the magnificent King Parrots who came in the morning - and will hop on your hand to take food. These birds are just beautiful

*this little fella was found in amongst the fire wood at the house - what a little cutie he is

*and one of the cheeky possum

We also saw a male and female Victoria's Riflebird - but they came every time I didn't have the camera!!!!!! - what magnificent ANDI MEAN MAGIFICENT birds

Attachments

• Cairns Highlands trip 022.jpg
    Cairns Highlands trip 022.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 55
  • Cairns Highlands trip 117.jpg
    Cairns Highlands trip 117.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 57
  • Cairns Highlands trip 034.jpg
    Cairns Highlands trip 034.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 107
  • Cairns Highlands trip 037.jpg
    Cairns Highlands trip 037.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 115
The funny Spotted Cat Bird haha - they are a laugh and a half, they have the funniest call. he flew off with a chunk of paw paw that size - very funny to watch. I love these birds.

The beautiful Emerald Doves were there every day pigging out on what ever was there.

Inside the tree house from the loft where there are two single beds and then down stairs there is a king bed. Its like being in a jungle but with 5 star luxury hahaha

The beautiful Wompoo fruit Dove - what a thrill it was to see this guy and all while sitting on our deck what a great place!!

Attachments

• Cairns Highlands trip 102.jpg
    Cairns Highlands trip 102.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 66
  • Cairns Highlands trip 151.jpg
    Cairns Highlands trip 151.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 59
  • Cairns Highlands trip 135.jpg
    Cairns Highlands trip 135.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 71
  • Cairns Highlands trip 160.jpg
    Cairns Highlands trip 160.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 57
they also have a resident cassowary - who is off with his chicks at the moment, platypus, echidna and heaps more - just don't go when its raining hahah although its nice to snuggle by the fire.

more great fnq pics ,makes me sad that our next trip north isnt until xmas next year. the board walk looks good when we were there last it was just a great veiw down to the river cheers rodney

more great fnq pics ,makes me sad that our next trip north isnt until xmas next year. the board walk looks good when we were there last it was just a great veiw down to the river cheers rodney
It is a magnificen part of the world - we are lucky that we live 3 hours from it so we tend to see a bit of it.

Thanks to all the replys

Wompoos and Catbirds both have such intereting voices. They really add to the aesthetics of those northern forests. The MacCleay's was very nice.

Regards,
David

Wompoos and Catbirds both have such intereting voices. They really add to the aesthetics of those northern forests. The MacCleay's was very nice.

Regards,
David

The macleay's honey eaters are everywhere we had about 5 at one stage eating banana off the balcony and out of our hands. I loved the spotted catbirds they are just the funniest things I have ever seen wish I could have a pet one hahaha

yeah he was one fat snake - dont think he would have needed to eat for a while.
He was in a bad spot though as anyone who didont like snakes and spotted him could have easily thrown a heavy object at him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back