ATT new keepers

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JandC_Reptiles

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I have recently read a few threads about members who have purchased new Herps and are asking questions about what to keep them in, what temps, humidity, feeding, handling etc. IMO it would have been better to ask those questions & learn the answers before purchasing an animal. It is obvious these members have very little idea about Reptiles and it is scary to think that they already have an animal/animals in their possession but do not know how to properly care for it/them.

Sooo, I would just like to offer some free friendly advice here to any new members who are yet to get their first Herp. PLEASE do some research before making any purchase. Atleast learn the basics BEFORE you go out and buy a Reptile. Learn the prefferred body temp of the animal you wish to purchase, learn the heat gradient needed for that animal, learn the desired humidity level for the animal, learn the enclosure size & accessories needed for the animal & learn how much & how often to feed the animal THEN you may be ready to own it. Those are the most necessary things to the animals survival. Handling, breeding or anything else may be learnt at later periods and hands on experience comes with time, BUT THE BASICS should be learned way before even contemplating keeping an animal imo. And when you are finally ready to get your 1st Herp have a good chat to the seller/breeder of the animal you wish to purchase & get their advice/opinions on the subjects just to confirm your own thoughts.

Last edited:
Here here Jand C. I read it on a lot of forum that people have gone out and got there reptile and then wonder what do I keep it in ect. That is a really scary thing. Perhaps the licencing bodies should make some kind of test or way of knowing that the person has at least some basic knowledge before getting a licence. I know it is a hrd one to police but maybe the sellers need to take some responsibility as well. I know when I am looking at expanding my collection I do the research and the preparation first. There had been a couple of species that I think are fantastic but when I have researched them have decided against keeping them for when there husbandry requirements dont work for my situation of knowledge. I am letting a Johnsons river croc but not until I am fully set up and have some more knowledge and understanding of there needs.
JMO

Great post JandC. And Isis, I think you will find that all reputable sellers give the necessary advice when selling their herps. But there are a alot of ones that only sell a few or who have decided to sell their only one etc. Also, the reason you need to wait a couple of weeks to get your licence is so that you can do some research. You can't just see an add on petlink (and I use that example intentionally) and buy a herp today. You need to wait your two weeks. Hopefully in that time you have either purchased a book, spoken to a breeder, joined a herp club or changed your mind.

I know in Vic you can buy some herps without a licence and I am happy that NSW is not like that.

It also certainly makes sense to provide something like John Weigal's book with all new licences. But this is the government and it would take 8 years and 42 tenders before they decided on which book.

I agree with what you have all said 100% the only thing Id like to say is that there are people like us who have had herps for over 30 years but do not belong to any clubs nor have friends that have the same interest.Sometimes the only way to acess new ideas and information is to ask a broard spectrum of people and decide what suits our needs best.That doesnt mean that we dont know anything about herps just that we are isolated to new ideas and products and like to get an educated opinion from likewise minded people.
Cheers Odie

I am still of the opinion that a start up page should be placed somewhere on here to give newbies the basic information, and answer some of the very basic Q's. Any questions beyond that I am happy to help answer I never garentee my answers are correct but I give the best answers I can with my knowledge, and try not to give any false info.

The Keeping Python series of books from Australian Reptile Keeper Publications are a great intro and they are really cheap ($13 inc delivery). I would hope that new keepers have at least read something like these books or have had the basics explained to them by someone experienced. Preferably both.

I still think that a basic reptile keeper's course should be mandatory for new keepers, but many will disagree with me on this one as it probably discourages new keepers from getting a licence and would encourage the exotics/illegal trade.

well said JandC, it is deffinatlely a good idea do do ya research first, however when i got my first snake the only info i really had trouble getting was what humidity it had to be at. Do you know of a good book or place where newbies can track this info from?

A signature from a licenced reptile keeper of 12months might be a good start as well then you would know that thay have spoken to someone with knowledge about reptiles.

I totally agree with the research angle before buying. Although a newbie section would be great also because alot (generalization I know) of younger people are more inclined to read all the information off their computer rather than in a book. I for one have done both, I have researched the Snake I want to get (Mac hopefully Blonde), have already purchased the enclosure, have it set up and monitoring it everyday to make sure it will be correct. Now am waiting for my licence as I didn't wat it until I knew I was ready. Not trying to blow my own horn (no snide remarked thanks!! haha) but when you are going to invest considerable cost in a hobby/past time their is no point in doing it half ****d, and at the end of the day, you just make the thing you want most suffer until you get it right (if you get that chance).

Well said JandC, I completely agree with you! what I find interesting is this subject was raised a number of months back and the response to a similar statement to yours was very mixed. It sort of became a us and them thing, (experienced/inexperienced) It is reassuring to see this topic has been received the common sense way it should be. Any keeper with experience does not begrudge the newy asking simple or complex questions about herps even if the experience keeper considers the question obvious, but when a question is posted that reflects the newy knows absolutely nothing about the animal and the care of that animal keepers who care about herps and any animals for that matter question the whole licence process.
I think a newy section full of FAQ is an excellent idea, but i guess the search function in here does the same thing.
Anyway, it is good to see people being level headed.
P.S That fem I got from you JandC is doing great, her colours have really changed - much lighter and with tiger bands, beautiful!
Cheers Mate,
Davo

i am looking to get my first ...
i will have spent 6 months researching everything involved,
by the time wonderful day arrives...
i believe the date will be remebered easier then my aniversary...
(which is???? DOH)
today i was looking at diffrent enclosures....
educate the fools by leading by example... my opinion only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back