attention GTP owners

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryant16

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hi guys, im in need of some expert advise.
i am thinking of expanding my collection to the keeping of GTP. at the moment i have carpets, jungles, BHPs, diamonds and olives. a little bit of background knowledge to help with my question. ill be honest because i live in darwin i have been playing with heating and non heating for years and have for the last couple of years stopped using any method of heating. those not familar with darwin atm in my suburb alone there is a relative humidty level of 78% and heat of 31 degrees. inside each and everyone of my tanks i have a temperture of 26 degress during the night and a constant of 34 degrees from 11 - 4pm. these have been strictly measured with a heat probe guns for weeks and record keeping has been monitored. no changes. this is where my situation differes from others. all my tanks have been specifically brought as glass fish tanks with large mesh lids. this is because different to those of other reptile keepers in different states i need to reduce the heat inside the tanks. becuase no heating is done in my enclosures i provide large fully submersible water bowls which is how my snakes regulate their tempertures. i have used melamine enclosures before and reached temps of around 39 degrees!! so finally my question. if i was to keep a GTP hatchling in a 20x30x40 enclosure (or similar) would i need any other forms of heating or humidity control. i will mention i dont currently know the humidity levels inside the tanks - would they be similar to outside?. i have purchased a hygrometer today to start testing and getting ready for the eventual purchase of a GTP. any advice would be great to making a little GTP feel at home.
thankd guys Ryan

During summer wet season youll be fine
During the dry you will need to spray occassionally
if you get too many cool winter nights you may need to add a small amount of heat

During summer wet season youll be fine
During the dry you will need to spray occassionally
if you get too many cool winter nights you may need to add a small amount of heat

longqi i didnt actually expect a reply from you! THANKS :) this question actually came to me thinking about your display GTP's in bali and the way you kept them and how they seemed to thrive without any visible differnece in keeping between them and other species. what would you expect too be too cold? is humidity a large issue with GTP during the night?

I remember Graeme Gow used to keep his GTPs at Humpty Doo without any sort of heating...

Jamie

longqi i didnt actually expect a reply from you! THANKS :) this question actually came to me thinking about your display GTP's in bali and the way you kept them and how they seemed to thrive without any visible differnece in keeping between them and other species. what would you expect too be too cold? is humidity a large issue with GTP during the night?

The display during the day was not a true indication
kept everything very open to make them easy to lift in and out
I actually had a couple of big heat lamps that came on if the temp dropped below 22C at any time
theyd pump the heat up to 32 and cut out again
Didnt happen often but did happen
Also during dry season chondros were sprayed when ever we thought they needed it and all had immersion bowls
Seldom sprayed in wet season ex, we're on 88% humidity today
I think too much humidity is also a cause of many problems
Our ones that are outside dont stay out in the rain
They head straight under cover to other perches

I am not knocking Greg Maxwell in any way and also highly recommend the book
but chondros kept in the far north can be kept quite differently to those down south
They are actually a lot hardier than most people give them credit for

I am not knocking Greg Maxwell in any way and also highly recommend the book
but chondros kept in the far north can be kept quite differently to those down south
They are actually a lot hardier than most people give them credit for

100% +

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back