average parents good looking offspring

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

matto

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hi,
in reagards to jungles do the parents dictate the markings, head patterns or colour in the black and gold range, both my jungles are more lemon in colour than bright gold but they have kept there colour for 5-6 years can there offspring be bright or are they more likely to be like the parents?

i think it depends on grandparents aunts and uncles.........i know with breeding my staffords i used to go 6 and 7 generations back and beg borrowing and well...not stealing.....you know what i mean to get piccies of the dogs in the line to get an idea of what i might get.......and to try to put dogs and bitches together to try to compensate each others faults etc. (even then you only get pics of what was used for breeding so really it only gives an indication)

In the snake world i think it is only the established breeders who have been breeding snakes for a long time that seem to keep photographs and records of their animals as there isnt a central data base. So maybe you could ask the breeder you got them from if he has piccies of other snakes related to yours.

so really.....all you can do is put them together and see what you get.....genetics is a funny thing......its a bit like the lottery and even with all the best plans and two outstanding animals you still may not get the result you had planned. I guess the important thing to remember is if you dont have a good result not to repeat the mating......(by good result i mean if you had a lot of genetic defects in the clutch etc)

Hope that makes sense

Elizabeth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back