Awesome Find

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Switch

Reaction score
Got a phone call from a friend today who lives in the middle of town, nowhere near the bush. Said he had a snake in his back yard. Went over to check it out and it was a beautiful little Diamond Python, my favourite, Diamonds dont live here in Lithgow, too cold. Friendly little critter and in excellent condition. I would say that someones Xmas present got away. Looks about 1 year old, nearly 2 foot in length and really healthy.
What do you do?
I brought it home.
Not keen to advertise for lost snake though.
Might try to say that i bred one this year, since i have 2 pairs of Diamonds.
This snake is really pretty, great colours and patterns already.
Have to worth $500 i reckon.
Might possibly be an intergrade, not sure, has heaps of speckles and patterns.
Anyway, great score, thought id share it, someones lose is anothers gain i guess.......
If i lost it id be pretty sad.

switch wannna sell 1 adult female my dad rang ya up new years day

Too long and slender i think, but would be great find if it was, love to see one, lived here all my life and never seen one, love to know if their around

I think you are aware of your resposibilities in this situation. You have also pretty much told NPWS about it.

Let it go in some bushland, far away from roads, people etc...near a creek would be good.

or give it to me when i buy that diamond and then i can let it go in my rood and eat those frigin mice

so shes meant to let it go in the wild to get eaten up by a predator... if it is a captive snake it will have no chance with surviving.
but what i say doesn't matter, do what u like with it switch, great find!

Contact NPWS. If it is an escapee they may of been notified by the owner.
If it is not suitable to be released into the wild, they may permit you to keep it.
It is a captive snake or a wild one either way,keeping it is wrong.

Fuscus,
Here is a distribution map of the Morelia, (sourced from Cogger, Sixth Edition).
Yes it extends into Victoria but the section along the Blue Mountains in NSW where it says they dont live is right where we are, it gets down well into the minuses here in the Mountains of a winter and our summers are short.
Hope that helps. Definatley a captive bred.
If i havent found the owner this week i will contact NPWS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back