axolotle?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rusty99

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hey, i need help with my axolotle, He has a sore on his stomach and im a bit worried about it, could anyone help me out?...thanx rusty99

RE: axolatle!

you cant really dry dock an axylotl.
Id be taking it to a vet before you do anything.
You should :
keep the water spotless and well filtered.
Keep the tank spotless.
add aquarium salt (for freshwaterfish) to the tank 1 teaspoon per 10 litres.
separate it from any tank mates.

how did it happen? what are you keeping with it? any agro fish, like betas or convicts, cichlids?

Not a good idea, malachite green/blue (multispectrum antifungal for fish) might be ok, but might not, plus its an open wound. Id go with the aquarium salt, it wont harm it at the mix i mentioned and will ward off fungus. most important is cleanliness, it should heal itself.
Remopve anything sharp in the tank goes without saying.

thans alought, nah no mates in with him, i checked him about 9am and he had it on him but previously to that i hadnt seen it, ill add some salt, but would tank purafire to the trick. other wise ill just take him to the vet, thanks heaps.....rusty99

Also rusty, you should keep the water cool, below 20c, axylotls heal better in colder water!
You can do this by freezing 1.25 litre coke bottles or similar of water and floating in the tank. Depending how big the tank is you may need a few at a time. The bigger the water vol the longer it will take to cool but the longer it will stay cool too.
If you can adjust the flow of your filter, turn it down a little, too fast water flow stresses them, but it must be good enough to circulate the water about 5 times (total vol) per hour if possible for good oxygenation, this will also speed healing. :wink:
Dont use fish cures, most contain malachite green that is poisonous to amphibians. If you can buy one that contains methyl blue only as a primary constituent, you can use that, but minimum dose.

Im guessing the purifier is a chlorine/chlorimine remover? look on the bottle. This wont help the wound, but you should change most of the water if not all (put it something else with current water while you do) and add the purifier to it and let it mix before you put him back. Chlorine/chlorimine is harmful and stresses fish and amphibs, stressed animals of any kind will take longer to heal.
keep the water below or at 20c as much as possible. good luck with it mate.

Rusty,

There is a solution called 'Melafix' its in a blue bottle. This will get rid of the sore.

However once Axolotyl's get this condition they rarely recover. It will keep coming back every few months. Mine had it for 4 years on and off so he will survive.

Just make sure, being the middle of summer that the tank is in a cool room, Axolotyls get stressed in high temperatures.....

Put some ice in his tank if its a hot day, trust me it wont hurt them.....

People use ice to drop the temp for breeding purposes.... but warmish / hot water will kill him

but go get melafix and he will be fine

:shock: I wouldnt use a product based on tea tree oil extract on an amphibian Matt, have you personally tested it on axylotls? Id stick to the aquarium salt, its known safe. tea tree oil is toxic to amphibs !

Yeah, I was told by the pet shop to use it on my axolotyls for about 4 years, and I did use it all the time without one problem

until it died? petshops are hardly experts Matt, tea tree oil is known to be toxic to amphibs, it may not kill em immediatly diluted but its toxic. aquarium salt is much safer, the less chemicals the better mate, amphibs absorb everything through the skin, they arnt fish. even scaless sp of fish require highly diluted concentrations of aquarium remedys for the same reason.

until it died 4 years later. (I had him for about 9 years so I would say of old age)

I understand pet shops are not experts. I used to work in one and have a little bit of knowledge.... and regardless it is up to Rusty what he does. I was just offering my alternative :)

Salt salt salt.

As axolotl's are scaleless, the melafix if used, should be used to the same mix as bristlenose cats ect. But as inny has said, i wouldnt use it at all.

Again... Salt salt salt!!!

Its a fix all for any freshwater fish in 1 teaspoon per ten litres of water.

BUT MAKE SURE THE SALT IS NON-IONISED ALL NATURAL SEA SALT OR ROCK SALT!!!! dont just use the stuff mum has in the kitchen cupboard and dilute it in warm water before you put it in the tank.

i really appriciate the help fella's, if it doesnt improve ill take it to the vet but thanx alot you guys have really been a help...rusty99 :)

Actually Matt I wouldnt say old age, with good care axylotls can live 20 years plus, ive heard of up to 50 years! Im betting the pet shops misguided advice to use melafix resulted in a stressed immune system and thats why its wounds reappeared on and off for 4 years. The melafix took 4 years to kill it! Trust me, tea tree oil is toxic to amphibians, Its not your fault the shop gave you bad advice. :( You dont have much luck with pets mate.

p.s. please dont take that the wrong way, I know you keep birds and your probably great at it! :wink:

Re: RE: axolatle!

instar said:
You dont have much luck with pets mate.

p.s. please dont take that the wrong way, I know you keep birds and your probably great at it! :wink:

How can you take that a right way ???

Personally I feel I do a great job with all my animals.... Sure I have made a few mistakes but who hasn't ?? Thats how you learn !!

I was giving my experience of what I did when I was younger, offering IMO my advice, isn't what this place is about ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back