B.D. Question..

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smellie

Reaction score
I have a question...(I'm full of 'em...I'm like a child)

When housing beardies together, many say that if you house two or more together there may be a dominance issue. So I was just curious to know if:

a) does that still happen even if they're from the same clutch?
b) it's common for the male to be the dominate one when bigger, but does the same thing happen in reverse? If the female is bigger will it act aggresive towards a male if he is smaller?

I've had a read around on threads, and read an article in Rep. Australia and they sort of answered it, but not completly.

Thanks all!

It doesn't matter what clutch, and I believe what ever is bigger it will dominate, regardless of sex. :D

Doesn't matter if they are from the same clutch or not, and doesn't matter what the sex is. A group of dragons will always have a hierarchy, expect firworks if you add a new member once this has already been worked out. I have found a female always to be more dominant in a group situation, though that may just be coincidence. Even as breeding adult, males will back down from a girl that "looses it", I have only seen adult females attack males during Autumn, when many lizard males think it is spring again

Oh! Did you write that? I just looked at the article now, and it fits. Hm... that's random. It was really helpful, by the way. I'm getting a couple of beardeds soon.

no sweat, it was a good one all the same:D

So what do you recommend then? If I were to get two, would it be more worth my while just to house them seperatly? Or would they 'grow out' of it eventually?

Depends on how they are housed, temps they are kept at, and what the individual dragons temperments are like, I have always raised groups of 2 - 6 up together, if one is too timid, I'll give it away to someone to save the hassle. You need to watch them on really hot days and keep them really well fed at all times, ideally, it's best to raise them seperately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back