B1ME probe location

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nelly

Reaction score
Preface: Whilst I realise the use of thermostats is a contentious issue with some folk here, please note that the set up I own was given to me as a gift by my fiance (Nelly). You'll have some strong opinions on the overall use of thermostats... but for the sake of brevity, please keep them to yourselves. :D

Hi all,

I've got a yearling odd Maccie in an Exo-Terra enclosure that measures 600 x 450 x 450. It's fitted out with various fake plants, branches, hides and logs. It has a foam backdrop inside the enclosure with space for cords to run down the back inside and I'm using two sheets of newspaper as substrate.

My girl loves her enclosure (doesn't like being removed most of the time as evidenced by her ability to strike at my moving hand when removing her:() and I want to make sure the temps are regulated sufficiently... so I invested in a B1ME thermostat.

Currently (due to the height and gauze mesh top) I'm not using light as a heat source, but instead have a 300 x 250 Microclimate heat mat (13w) underneath the enclosure on a polystyrene lid to aid in insulation.

I've purchased a dual-probe digital thermometer to ensure I monitor temps accurately and would like some advice on positioning the probes effectively.

Currently I have them poking through the backdrop sitting approximately 25mm above the floor of the viv. I've read that it's best to have them off the heat source to ensure air temp is measured and not surface temp... however, I've placed my hand on the floor of the viv and noticed it's really quite hot. The thermometer is reading 31 degrees celsius at the height that it's set and the thermostat seems to be controlling the temps consistently.

Is this satisfactory? Or should I be worried that the floor, in consideration of the thin substrate, is getting too hot?

Any advice taken on board...

Josh

im not having a go at you but why dont you just put the themometer on the ground for a few mins and see what the actual temp is and then decide if it is 2 hot.... ?

just my thinking...

What's my point of reference?

Differing thermal conditions between the weight and insulation of a 500mm snake versus a 15mm metallic probe, versus my hand... they're all going to provide varied results. Correct?

Not sure there's any real point to doing it... but I'll give it a go I guess.

Preface: Whilst I realise the use of thermostats is a contentious issue with some folk here

Not really contentious, just a few people who who've replaced thermostats with massive egos.

If you've got an mesh top enclosure it may be safer to have the thermostat probe on the substrate above the heat mat. This will give you a safety cutoff if the room ambient gets too low (and therefore the heat mat goes ballistic to compensate) and allow you to control the floor temp in the basking area. You could probably set the thermostat a few degrees higher to allow to snake to warm up on the heated substrate.

I'd also suggest putting a towel over the warm end of the enclosure to retain heat a bit better. It can be very difficult keeping animals warm in mesh lid enclosures.

What's my point of reference?

Differing thermal conditions between the weight and insulation of a 500mm snake versus a 15mm metallic probe, versus my hand... they're all going to provide varied results. Correct?

Not sure there's any real point to doing it... but I'll give it a go I guess.

the thermometer is the point of reference.... thats the whole point of having one....

of course they will all be different.... but seriously its not going to make that much of a difference that it will harm the snake.....

all im saying is if you use the thermo and find that the ground is like 50 degrees then id say its 2 hot....

i run my tanks with a probe thermostat as well and also have the dual thermo also....

i put both the thermometer and the thermostat probe over my substrate.. (marine carpet for me... ) in roughly the same position...... set my thermo to 30 and everything is sweet....

I'm going to replace the mesh top with a partial wood top to help retain/control temps and provide the ability to include a heat lamp.

I really appreciate your advice Chimera.

Thanks.

the thermometer is the point of reference.... thats the whole point of having one....

of course they will all be different.... but seriously its not going to make that much of a difference that it will harm the snake.....

all im saying is if you use the thermo and find that the ground is like 50 degrees then id say its 2 hot....

My question is, if the substrate is 35 degrees celsius but the air temp is 31 degrees, how am I to know if it's too hot? Everybody else positions their probes off the heat source and incidentally, the substrate... but generally people are using heat lamps... so it may vary.

I'm not having a go at you either... but I had contemplated different ways to get the right answer without posting and there are too many variables... I am a simple man. :rolleyes:

yeah i see what you mean now.....
its funny you ask this actually because im running an almost identical set up... exo terra tank and all.....

when i first set it up i was worried about the substrate being too hot as well and thats why i placed both the 'stat and the thermometer on the ground......

there are lots of variables but seriously if the highest the ground in your tank get is 35 then i probably wouldnt worry so much...... assuming you have plently of room for the snake to get off the heat source...

my temps can vary a bit at the hot end they usually sit between 29 and 32 but on really hot days i have seen it get higher..... but i find my jungle will move itself to where it wants to be.....

my probes are like pen shaped and i lay them flat on the carpet but that means the tip where its actually measuring is a few mm off the ground if that helps at all.....

yeah i see what you mean now.....
its funny you ask this actually because im running an almost identical set up... exo terra tank and all.....

when i first set it up i was worried about the substrate being too hot as well and thats why i placed both the 'stat and the thermometer on the ground......

there are lots of variables but seriously if the highest the ground in your tank get is 35 then i probably wouldnt worry so much...... assuming you have plently of room for the snake to get off the heat source...

my temps can vary a bit at the hot end they usually sit between 29 and 32 but on really hot days i have seen it get higher..... but i find my jungle will move itself to where it wants to be.....

my probes are like pen shaped and i lay them flat on the carpet but that means the tip where its actually measuring is a few mm off the ground if that helps at all.....

Beautiful! So it's a bit of a dark art then... I suppose I'll try a few different things and see what works best for me...

Wish I could mark this thread "SOLVED" so it could be used as reference material down the track for other people...

Josh

it comes down to a bit of trial and error in the end...

if you do come up with a better way though seriously let me know coz id use it....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back