Baby and Juvenile Green Tree Pythons $480

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i think you'll find that that there aren't as many in capivity in aus as there is in the u.s, and harder to breed and its a supply demand thing here aswell....the juveniles are usually sold here in aus before the snakes even copulate, theres a long waiting list...but this is only what i think, other people on here will have much more knowledge to answer this for you

They are indeed hard to find here. Daddy was going to get me one for Christmas but couldn't find any and has had to resort to plan B. But I don't WANT my own island. :wink:

They breed in quite large number, in excess of 30 in a clutch, they are not particularly hard to keep or breed as long as a few basic rules are followed and for the life of me I don't know why they are still so uncommon here.

alot of it simply comes down to having a pair, and a compatible pair at that. its not always as easy as just through a boy and girl togther and they will breed. if they don't like each other then nothing will hapen no matter how many flowers or romantic songs are involved.

re Baby

boa said:
They breed in quite large number, in excess of 30 in a clutch, they are not particularly hard to keep or breed as long as a few basic rules are followed and for the life of me I don't know why they are still so uncommon here.
I think they was importing allot into the USA even when being captive bred and that helps heaps, also the keepers over there have not been negatively effected by Government regulation over the years.Breeders over there can get access to stock readily and dont get them confiscated by num nuts when there breeding. :)

boa said:
This could be beacuse we havn't had as easy access to the species, overseas were able to import large numbers to get them established and breeding in good numbers, it wasn't as easy for us to do such. And then I believe there was the incident where a lot got confiscatedm went to zoos and died because of poor care(not 100% on exactly what happened).

They are a very popular snake and this and the fact they aren't that common(but are building up in numbers) is keeping their price nice and high.

Zulu, I agree our ridiculous regulations and law enforcement have hampered the situation greatly. Most keepers will shy away from wild caught animals for obvious reasons and good captive bred GTP's still command a premium in the States but nothing approaching the prices we see here.

I don't think you will find that they died as such. :wink:

Dicco said:
And then I believe there was the incident where a lot got confiscatedm went to zoos and died because of poor care(not 100% on exactly what happened).

boa said:
I don't think you will find that they died as such. :wink:

Dicco said:
And then I believe there was the incident where a lot got confiscatedm went to zoos and died because of poor care(not 100% on exactly what happened).
Oh, now that does make a lot more sense, hehe ;)

re Baby

Yeh Dicco ,its a crazy situation the herp buisness in ozz in so many ways,those overseas look on in bewilderment at some of our regulations as a corrupt circus act. :)

And who can blame them, it makes us shake our heads in disbelief just imagine how others on the inside must see our situation.
We can't keep exotic reptiles, well actually some of us can but we can't breed them or sell them (so the black market is thriving) We can in fact buy and keep as many exotics as we like as long as they are cats, dogs, sheep, cows, horses. Llamas, camels etc etc etc. The fact that at least the first animal on the list decimates our native wildlife in a way no other can seems completely unimportant to the law makers.

They breed in quite large number, in excess of 30 in a clutch, they are not particularly hard to keep or breed as long as a few basic rules are followed and for the life of me I don't know why they are still so uncommon here
Boa,
you've obviously had first hand experience keeping and breeding them, so why haven't you flooded the market with greens?
Up untill 10 yrs ago there were very few in private collections in Australia, and virtually none being bred. One keeper in Nth Queensland being to produce them on a semi regular basis and a few dozen were declared in the 1997 amnesty in NSW. You can't just produce thousands of the things in one or two generations, particuarly with a species that, despite what 'boa' claims, isn't the most prolific breeder.
In the US they have been at it for decades, and still import greens by the thousands. You still pay a good $500 upwards for captive bred animals over there. Maybe in 20 yrs time that all you'll pay for one here but until then I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for a price crash.

i just find it funny how we pay so much for them, eg 5k when all they are is the same animal they are paying 500 for after all, how ever many babys were hatched here is AUS, probably 5% were ozy gtp. i have no problem paying 5k for them but only if im getting a true ozy animal and when i get my gtp they will be!!!

I agree to a point but I wouldn't be worried about it being a local animal or not, the waters are so muddied now I doubt even all the breeders know exactly what they have. Just get a GTP and enjoy it for what it is, where it comes from doesn't really matter that much.

I believe URS has gotten hold of a pair of Aussie GTP, but they would most probably build up their numbers before they sell and offspring.

I agree to a point but I wouldn't be worried about it being a local animal or not, the waters are so muddied now I doubt even all the breeders know exactly what they have. Just get a GTP and enjoy it for what it is, where it comes from doesn't really matter that much.
Hey Boa, does that count for islands aswell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back