baby bearded heating question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

r3ptile.boy

Reaction score
hay all,

i have a quick question, over summer i had been running a fan heat light over my beardy tank and found it was a perfect temp, but now it is winter the temps have dropped so i was thinking of hooking um a 100w bulb and a uvb tube, but will this sudden rise in temperature effect my beardy, as in give it RI or any other problems?

thanks in advance.

Hey Reptile boy.

Firstly excuse my ignorance, but I dont know what u mean by a fan heat light. either way u say the temps were perfect. What were they?, and what r they now.

Nothing wrong with upping the temps with a 100W bulb, but depending on the size of your enclosure, and if your other heat source is still going, u prob wont need that much wattage.

Also, I read that as if your not already running running a UV light. This wont effect you temps. This is purely to aid in calcium absorbtion. So u shouldve already had one in there.

RI will set in from too low a temp (like a chill - cold- infection) By upping the temps, this will hopefully stop RI happening.

However saying what I have, depends on how old it is. size of enclosure, what r the temps. whats the night time/daytime temp. How is the beardy acting etccc...

Need a bit more info mate
Cheers

thanks bowdnboy, any info is appreciated,
the fan heat light im am talking about is the new product that teptile one introduced.
it supplys both heat and uvb, and the pet shop i bought my tank from said that a 20w fan heat light would be ideal for my tank , ( the tank is 60x45x45 cm ) but since the winter the temps have dropped to around 24 so i added a another 25w globe but temps are still not constant. thats y i was thinking of changing the whole system to a 100w bulb and a uvb strip.

latly my beardy hasnt been very active and is only eating and odd criket.

thanks.

so your bearded dragon is only a young guy i own a 4 month old bearded dragon her setup is her basking light is a 100watt urs white basking bulb, with a uvb tube, i also have a infrared bulb in there for night time. this is my enclosure for now until i upgrade to a bigger one. Not being very active and not eating much can be cause your enclosure isn't the right temperture. About 3inches under my basking bulb gets to 52 degrees celsius she loves this heat. As long as your beardy has places to go to get away from the heat all is good. My girl has under her log and her fake rock to get away. My girl is eating 30 or more crickets plus some veggies everyday.
BILD0908.jpg

yea, my beardy is only around the 4-5 month mark aswell, he used to hammer crickets and a bit of veggies but the colder days has turned him off abit, but i will be purchasing a 100w buld and a tube 2moro, ps. nice enclosure!!

Hey Reptile boy. no worries

Is your enclosure the same as that one Dragon owner added?? If it is (size and all glass), you may want to think about getting a larger one in the future for when hes bigger - same goes to you Drqagon owner. Nice setup for now, but they grow pretty quick. (sorry just read that your already onto this lol) - also, just be mindful of possible compaction issues with the sand substrate.

Also with the all glass, hard to hold the temps and the gradient. By the sound of it your already gettign the higher W globe and UV etc. Thats good.
You want to get the spot temp under the globe in the high30's low 40's, wit hthe ambient temp at the hot end in the 30's. As long as he can get to a cooler end temp of around mid 20's. Also hard to install a cheaper thermostat with all glass walls, so you may need to get the dearer type thermos with the probe to make sure you dont cook him.
Depending on how cold your hose gets in winter, u dont need any night heat. I dont run any at all, except for the odd occasion over the last few weeks where its been freezing down here (under 10degrees). And then ive just put the timer for the heat to come on for 30min during the earlyhrs just to take the chill off the air.

Once your temps are back up, you should find his appetite comes back

Hi - I run the reptile one fan light + a 100W heat bulb, but my enclosure's a lot bigger than yours. I'd just go ahead with that idea though, & if your basking & overall temps get too hot, set the 100W on a seperate timer so it's not on for as long (6-8hrs instead of 12 e.g.) Hope that helps:)

yea bowdnboy my enclosure is bascially the same as that but reptileone. i already have a big 4ft for him in the future, i will go ahead with the 100w bulb but what are your thoughts about the 5.0 calcium bulbs instead og the tube?

thanks heeps guys.

I would stick clear of the compact uvb bulbs people have had nothing but problems with them. I have used a compact uvb bulb for 4 weeks with mine and i tell you she never really basked near the uvb bulb. also didn't make the tank very bright. My bearded dragon found it hard to see her crickets cause there wasn't enough light. Now since switching to the tube she basks under the uvb tube and goes a dark colour which she didn't do before. She can also see her crickets.

ok thanks for that dragonowner my mate uses them and they seem to go alright but i spose it comes down to whatever suits ur beardy the most.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back