Baby beardie spending a lot of time under mallee root....

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reptalica

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi all just another help question......my new baby beardie which is approximately 7 weeks old, had probably its best feed of crix earlier today. However, the problem is that as a basking spot it has a piece of mallee root (see pics) and what my beardie does for periods of the day is sits underneath it. I have only had beardie since last Monday and is still fairly slow in the eating department but the fact is doesnt spend a lot of time basking would suggest????? And spends a reasonable amount of time under the mallee root.

Any ideas / feedback / opinions would be most welcome......and not sure if it can see it greens or not so might try putting them on a plastic container lid........ok????

See pics........cheers and thanks again all. Temps at warm end around 85F or just under 30C. Seems strange with a 100w MVB and a 120W par 38 floody bearing straight down...again see pics. Thanks.

Attachments

• Merlot&Enclosure 025.jpg
    Merlot&Enclosure 025.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 106
  • Merlot&Enclosure 022.jpg
    Merlot&Enclosure 022.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 93
  • Merlot&Enclosure 026.jpg
    Merlot&Enclosure 026.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 77
Pherhaps its too hot for it on top on the mallee root...so it's just found a happy medium which it enjoys..
But then I don't really have any idea.. :p

Yeah as Tatelina said, it could be too hot under the direct basking area.
It's brothers and sisters spend a fair bit of time hiding either in their log or up in the bushes.
Call me in your concerned.
Liz

Too much heat with both lights mate turn of th e spooty and give him a bit more time to settle in

I was just thinking that - I think I'd be sweating like a pig sitting under those lights. Surprised if it was only 30 in the hot end.....

Heres a pic of how i set up mine. I have one MVB light shining on a slight angle wich provides about 5 basking spots in the back left corner the temps about 2 degrees different at each pointand a temp gradient of about 7 degrees across the tank.Hope this helps a bit good luck

Attachments

• home 1 025.jpg
    home 1 025.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 82
I dont see anything wrong with the beardie hiding that is perfectly OK.

You should check the temp at the hottest part(closest to the light) and that should be around 40 IMO and the cool end should be room temp. If it gets hot where you keep them turn the heating off.
Your setup looks OK and i think it would make enough heat, maybe even more than you need. Try putting a branch under the light as beardies like to sit on branches and it would be able top get closer to the light and get more heat and UV, you would only need to use the MV bulb if you do this too.

Howdy all, just an update regarding my beardie and everything ironically appears ok. It is certainly up and roaming about and starting to hunt down the crix / roaches. I put in the zoo med ladder and hammock and has even had a jump around on those. Will keep u all updated but in the meantime thanks again for your input and feedback. It is greatly appreciated.

i think its meant to be 40-60%, but i dont think that would be a reason for its hiding.

i've heard low humidity dries out their ear membranes and makes them act dizzy and drunk,..and might make shedding a bit more difficult,...try adding a water bowl to raise humidity, but not too deep so they cant drown in it.

and take it out @ night, one of my babies fell into the bowl one night and if i hadnt still been up she would have drowned.

Thanks Chris, yeah the water bowl in there at the minute is very shallow so maybe if I add another shallow one it cant hurt. Definately not too deep that it could drown. Cheers and thanks.

no worries, one of those little fountains would also raise humidity,... :)

The extra water dish should raise the humidity.
Post some pics of your little dragon....................:)

Hello

Hello,

Just wondering how you were measuring the temps? If you are using stick on type thermometers, they wont be accurate in measuring the basking points, just the ambient temps. So, it could be too hot. Usually a digital probe or a temp gun are better choices to use for measuring the temps with.
I think that the MVB would be plenty to get the heat where it needs to be, or maybe a lower wattage bulb. The dragon is small, so, he can overheat quite easily. They also dehydrate very quickly as well. What brand of MVB are you using?
How large is your tank?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back