Beardie died today

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

frankc

Reaction score
Today one of my young male beardies died.:cry: He was a cute little guy but died suddenly and I am still not sure why.He was fine and running around eating as normal yesterday,basking with the others as normal.I woke up today to find his beard black, and he was just not active at all.I feed them all as usual and he didn't chase the crixs like normal just stood there and waited for them to come to him,he ate them but after putting him back in his enclosure he threw them back up,basked alittle then started to hide.I thought an impaction so I bathed him but nothing.Seperated him from the others,went through a list of things I thought it might be,trying to rule out things one by one,PMed a herper on here just in case I missed something.(Just like to say a big thanks to Chris1 for all your help and advice it was so appreciated)Also recommended bath.So I went to get him out of his cage and he started to spasm,once that stopped he seemed the same so I continued with the bath,massageing his tummy,offered him so diluted OJ,he spasmed again in the bath so I took him out and he died there in my hand.The poor little guy,it was so sad to watch and be able to do nothing.This all happened between 9am first feed to about 12pm when he passed away.i am still shocked by his death as they have showed no signs of problems and have been happy and playing as always.So fast so sudden.I am now monitoring the others for any signs of anything.I hope they will be ok.

He was just going on 6 months of age,good size,cage temps were fine ,no new additions or anything out of the norm.He just went down hill so fast but had been healthy up until now.Never refused a feed and always ate well.It is funny when you see someone or something die in front of you,it brings a big kick to bring you back to earth and realise how precious life is.But no matter how many times you see death you can never get used to it or understand the meaning or reasoning behind it.I just told my daughter about the little guy and she is upset about it and is spending some time with him.I know it is just a beardie to some but he was still part of our family,one of our little guys and he will be missed.

I think it may have been an impaction that I didn't catch in time,so I am writing this so that maybe someone else can learn from it if anything.Don't be scared to ask for help from others either on here or elsewhere in case you missed something and I hope that you can catch the problem in time.

here are some pics of the little guy,his last pics.RIP:cry:

Last edited:
Bugger. Sorry to hear that.

Don't be scared to ask for help from others either on here or elsewhere in case you missed something and I hope that you can catch the problem in time.

Good advice.

IsK

Im so sorry to hear your loss. Its great that your trying to help other herpers. Also you sounded like you did everything right, even asked a fellow herper for help. Its just one of those things i guess. RIP lil beardy!

Hi Frank,..he was a good looking little thing, looked so healthy too.

i'm really sorry fro your loss, that jsut seems way to sudden. :(

did u feel any lumps in his tummy when u were massaging?

I am sorry for your loss. I know first-hand how shocking it is when a pet dies suddenly.

Is it possible to ask your vet to perform a necropsy? I know it's not a pleasant thought at a time like this, but at least you could find out why your little one died.

OOh, that's so sad, I know how you feel. When I had a loss recently, I cried for an hour, then when by chance my local ranger rang about another matter, I bawled on the phone to him - poor guy didn't know what to say. SOrry for your loss - hope your other will be fine.....

hi

Well,at first I thought maybe there was a lump when I was massaging but being my first time just not 100% sure,only a small lump but I guess I got to it too late(if that is what the problem was).:( ...At least he is at peace now,no more suffering.

sorry for your loss... he looked awesome:cry:

Last edited:
I've got a tear in my eye thinking about your loss!!! :cry:
It's so horrible and it's an amazing thing to know that these gorgeous animals are in our lives and you don't realise how attached you are to them until something like this happens!!!
My heart goes out to you and your family!!!!

i feel for u mate and do you think the spasms cxouldve been lack of calcium or uv

hey

always dusted the crixs every morning,have a uv in the cage as well as they go in the sun for 30mins -1 hour everyday so I don't think it was a UV problem,the spasms only started at the end,30 mins before he died. It was a sad end to a beauty of a little guy.I was lucky to have had him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back