baby beardies, problem feeders

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rio_rat

Not so new Member
Reaction score
i recently got 2 baby beardies (2 and 3 wks old) that are a bit special, and ive tried heaps but im still having trouble hgetting them to feed, im force feeding tiny crickets and drip feeding runny vegie mash but theyre still difficult, one is TINY and has backwards back legs and one is bigger with terrible depth perception issues.. any advice? i love them!

the basking and genral temps are right ?
where ever u got them from , were they feeding before u got them?

i have a little one that was feeding ok on vegies before being sent to me, since she arrived she wont eat vegies anymore but i still offer them everyday knowing that one day she will pick it up again

i guess all you can do is keep doing what your doing and make sure they are hydrated daily

good luck

good to hear they are eating again, i am getting worried about my girl and am thinking i might have to start 'force' feeding her too as shes only eating a few crickets every second day

waiting on advice from her breeder

I always say, if they are not eating Crickets try woodies.. for some reason they always go for them over crickets (Mine do anyway)
They dont jump, are darker and easier to see and to catch for hatchies.

How old is yours Jeannine?

hi Sel

she would be just over a month now, ive got to get more crickets today and will see if they have some small woodies and will offer her some of them as well if i can get small enough ones, lately they only seem to be selling the one size which is large and way to big for her, might grab some of them and see if i can get some breeding going on at least that way i should get some her size

i opened a tin of chicken/beef mince in gravy for the cats tonight and kept a teaspoon aside which ill mash up to a paste and try her on that even if i just get the gravy into her by putting it on her mouth and getting her to lick it off

might also put her in the small glass fish tank and just have it set up like i did when i first got ivory and she thrived in it and grew really quickly

Problems with hatchling beardies not eating can almost always be put down to husbandry issues, either the enclosure isn't set up correctly for them or there are stress issues involved. For some reason, new keepers always blame the lizards and not themselves.. Hatchling beardies should be eating pretty much anything from 3-4 days old and kept eating that way, if they slow down for any reason it won't take long for MBD issues to start and then you end up with a sick and unwilling feeder.

instead of criticism how about some constructive advice and for your information i am NOT blaming the lizard, i know im doing something not right and wish to correct it, i have emailed her breeder but haven't got an answer yet as she works away from home

4ft long wooden enclosure, hot end between high 30's to low 40's, cool end between high 20's to low 30's

no soil in the tank only bark and leaves to hide under plus logs, sticks etc to climb
on

was outside this morning for an hour before the sun got too hot, yes i know they are use to it but i didn't want to stress her anymore then necessary,
UVB tube is being posted today

she now sits the same way a dog sits and looks up at the roof of the tank, not a great picture of her but the batteries were low and the flash wouldn't work, she has only been doing this for 2 days

DSCF0004-1.JPG

Last edited:
sounds good to me..

and jasonl, we are trying to help our pets not blame them so back off.

sounds good to me..

and jasonl, we are trying to help our pets not blame them so back off.
how about instead of being defencive , u take on the advice that your husbandry might need to be looked at a 2nd time ? .

---------- Post added 30-Dec-10 at 04:40 PM ----------

instead of criticism how about some constructive advice and for your information i am NOT blaming the lizard, i know im doing something not right and wish to correct it, i have emailed her breeder but haven't got an answer yet as she works away from home

4ft long wooden enclosure, hot end between high 30's to low 40's, cool end between high 20's to low 30's

no soil in the tank only bark and leaves to hide under plus logs, sticks etc to climb
on

was outside this morning for an hour before the sun got too hot, yes i know they are use to it but i didn't want to stress her anymore then necessary,
UVB tube is being posted today

she now sits the same way a dog sits and looks up at the roof of the tank, not a great picture of her but the batteries were low and the flash wouldn't work, she has only been doing this for 2 days

View attachment 179336
where abouts are u as in what state are u in.
as high 20`s - low 30`s is still too high for the cool end .
what wattage basking light are u using ? how far is it from the highest point the beardie can get to?

Last edited:
Also, a 4 foot enclosure for a baby beardie is a little big.

Before getting defensive about JasonL's comment....... take his advice. If you are willing to take constructive criticism then maybe PM Jason. He has helped me out when i was starting out with my geckos. He is a wealth of knowledge and was ALWAYS willing to help.....

DONT BURN YOUR BRIDGES!

shoving someone's face into the sand helps them how?

as i said instead of constructive criticism maybe he should have offered some advice

forget it, im stupid for asking anything in here last time i followed some 'advice' from experts it cost me my BD ivory because even the EXPERTS couldn't agree on one thing someone comes in here and asks a question and you get 30 people telling you 30 different ways to do something, so tell me which 'expert' do we listen to?

i have accepted my girl will probably die, im doing my best here and tonight is the 3rd night shes not eaten and im sitting here in tears so excuse me if the last thing i want or need is someone i don't know tearing shreds of me just to score points to make themselves look like they are the best thing since slice cheese

ill go back and do to this little girl the same thing i did with ivory when i first got her, smaller cage, lights etc

WOW !!! I just reread JasonL's post and fail to see how anyone can take offence to it????

as i said instead of constructive criticism maybe he should have offered some advice

Maybe instead of getting defensive you could have asked him to elaborate. Or PM'ed him to ask fro advice?

forget it, im stupid for asking anything in here last time i followed some 'advice' from experts it cost me my BD ivory because even the EXPERTS couldn't agree on one thing someone comes in here and asks a question and you get 30 people telling you 30 different ways to do something, so tell me which 'expert' do we listen to?
With keeping animals Jeannine there is more than one way to do things. If you asked feeding regimes, diets, housing, temps, cycling for breeding, incubation etc etc etc..... there would be MANY different ways that different people do things... all of them proving to be successful. There is not one way to do things.
i have accepted my girl will probably die, im doing my best here and tonight is the 3rd night shes not eaten and im sitting here in tears so excuse me if the last thing i want or need is someone i don't know tearing shreds of me just to score points to make themselves look like they are the best thing since slice cheese

ill go back and do to this little girl the same thing i did with ivory when i first got her, smaller cage, lights etc

So have you had 2 young beardies die recently?

how often are u handling it ?
how old is the dragon , how long have u had it for ?
i am by no means an expert , but i have bred beardies before - and will do in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back