Baby Blue tongue help please

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kylie30

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hello,
We have 2 adult blue tongues who have been together for as long as we have had them. We just got a huge surprise to find a baby blue tongue in the tank. Do we need to separate the baby from the 2 adults? Any help or advice appreciated please as we were not expecting babies :) Only 1 baby so far, but there are 6 orange balls in the tank too. The tank was cleaned this morning and none of this was there then.
Thanks Kylie :)

I'd be checking what the 6 orange balls are. Bluetongues give birth to live young, and yes you should separate them, I'd also be taking the male out of the enclosure and the water bowl too, just to be safe.
Do you have pics of the orange balls?

There should def be more then one. What is her breathing like? Make sure u give her a good big feed. As said, can u get any pics of the balls?
Congrats anyway :)

Yes I am taking a photo now, will get it up shortly. Unfortunately this has happened while we have been out today, we have no idea which lizard is the female, they weren't sexed when we got them. And neither of them looks to be breathing any differently than normal.

weird lol maybe someone broke in put a baby bluetongue in there and chucked a few cheto cheese balls in too!

the orange balls are slugs (un fertilised Ova) so hence would have been bubs if the male had done his job properly if you get what I mean..... so no need to worry...... The female usaually eats the slugs as are a good way to quickly re-plenish the energy that she has just lost in birth...... take the little fella out & feed him a bit of egg yolk to get him going.

the orange balls are chrystal in composition right ??

100% definite slugs. Most viable females will shoot out a bunch of these each year if they have not been mated with..... most of the time you don't see them because they eat the lot.

your male has a low sperm count !!!! either that or he is only semi-accurate !!!!

If possible, I would still like to see photos for future reference?
Quite interesting though....

Thankyou everyone for the replies. I have given the baby some egg yolk as suggested and some water. We have also separated him from the other 2 and split the parents up as well.
Any suggesting please now on how to care for our baby? Do we just feed him smaller versions of what his parents eat?

Yep feed him the same......... easy as

Thankyou everyone for the replies. I have given the baby some egg yolk as suggested and some water. We have also separated him from the other 2 and split the parents up as well.
Any suggesting please now on how to care for our baby? Do we just feed him smaller versions of what his parents eat?

joe, do you have any pics of the slugs? i have never seen bluie slugs

i think i have a photo from last years albino girl she had nine slugs. Ill see if i can find it

here ya go....... there is three of them here a bit mushed up...... you can see the chrystaline texture to them...... they are round when dropped & about the size of a grape & as I said the female usually eats them pronto...... so you rarely see them.

Attachments

• Bluey Slug.jpg
    Bluey Slug.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Looks like jam spread.
How intriguing......
Thanks Joe!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back