Baby children's python won't eat. Please help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Megan2396

Reaction score
I bought my children's python from a reputable breeder and was assured she was feeding well. I have now had her for two months and she has only eaten once and that was 5 weeks ago.

She is in a click clack with a heat mat underneath. Her hide and warm side is 30-32 degrees and the cool end is 24-27 degrees.

I have been trying to feed her pinkie mice which is what I was told she was eating. She keeps ignoring the food. I have also tried dipping the pinkies in chicken stock and have also tried 'braining' them. She is left alone except if the cage needs fresh water or a clean.

She shed two weeks ago.

How long can she go without feeding? I don't know what else to try and am worried she is starving.

I have tried contacting the breeder I got her from to find out how they were feeding her but they won't return my emails.

Hi Megan.
Have you tried leaving the pinkie in overnight and checking on her first thing in the morning? That may be one option to try. Another scenting option is quail.
Good luck.

Last edited:
have you tried placing the warmed mouse in the enclosure, turnign the light off/ covering the enclosure with a towel and just leaving the room for half an hour? I have recently had a hatchie refuse food for approx 5 months, thankfully has resumed feeding now, had to resort to feedign live, then freshly killed and have recently moved on to frozen. if you are in a position to get your hands on a pregnant mouse and not squeamish about killing your pet's food, then i would suggest that, be sure to always be present if there is another living thing in your snake's enclosure and be prepared to potentially pay a hefty vet bill/ if your snake gets bitten (not really an issue with pinkies, just putting this in here for the benefit of anyone else who may have similar issues with a larger snake). Last but nor least wild snakes tend to go into burmination aroudn this time of year, most people heat their hatchies throughout the winter to achieve lower motality and better growth, but some will refuse food during the "winter" months even despite being adequately heated. hope i have helped somewhat

/edit: damn ninjas

I have tried leaving the pinkie over night just outside her hide and she will go look at it and have a good smell but then wander off. I will try live pinkies. I have a friend who breeds mice so I will see if he has any pregnant ones. Thanks for the advice.

First things first, based on no experience and lots of reading - NO LIVE FOOD!!!! Not only is there a risk to your expensive pet, but you may set yourself up for a finicky eater who will only accept one thing. (Yes, I know pinkies aren't that dangerous, but start them young and before you know it they are hanging with hoppers who can beat them up).

Secondly, I have a new Stimmy, only for 3 weeks, still hasn't fed (please don't shoot me down, experienced guys, just trying to re-assure a fellow noob). Advice from the breeder has highlighted the following issues that may contribute to him not eating yet:
1. the move to new digs
2. colder weather
3. moderate traffic area - has been moved
4. handling - don't do it too early
5. noise - moved to quieter room in the house
6. Mars and Venus aren't in alignment
7. not hungry
8. testing me to see who cracks first
9. etc, etc, etc.

In short, DON'T PANIC!!! Same goes for all the people putting postings up saying "My hatchling won't eat, is he starving?" In the wild, these little guys are as nervous as all hell, bottom of the food chain, and only survive by hiding under stuff until a skink happens to wander past. They have a very slow metabolism, and will survive quite well on what they can get for as long as they need (within reason).

Provide them with adequate temps, minimal disturbance, fresh water, and the possibility of a meal every week or two, and they will get there, eventually. Very few animals will voluntarily starve themselves to death when food is available.

Relax, enjoy the fact that you have sole responsibility for the welfare of a contained predator (just messin' with ya, these little guys are sooooo cute ;)), ensure you have the appropriate conditions which you obviously have read up on or you wouldn't have got the little 'un in the first place, and practice a little patience.

A lesson I am rubbish at learning, but I am getting there.

Good luck

Hi Megan,
Best to go back to the breeder and find out 'exactly' how this childreni was being fed?
That should be your first port of call.

I have emailed the breeder twice in the last week with no response. I wont name names but I am very disappointed as this breeder is supposed to be a very reputable breeder and comes highly recommended.

Make sure the food being offered is super hot. I had the same thing with a stimmi and he will only eat if it is is straight out of hot tap water.

live feeding a pinkie is no risk to the python as pinkies are to young to bite. but its olny been 5 weeks so keep trying defrosted or fresh killed and try different scents. only resort to live feeding a pinkie if the python has not eaten in over 5-6 months as a last resort.

Last edited:
Make sure the food being offered is super hot. I had the same thing with a stimmi and he will only eat if it is is straight out of hot tap water.
You only want to warm the prey item to its normal body temperature and not cook it.

She is in a click clack with a heat mat underneath. Her hide and warm side is 30-32 degrees and the cool end is 24-27 degrees.

What time of the day are you measuring the temps? To get a more accurate picture of what's going on check them around 7am.

Hi Megan
I have bred spotted's for a few seasons. Some Canberra finicky eaters. I try dead pinkies at first. If this fails after a few attempts I put a live pinky in overnight. I try this a couple of times if it still doesn't eat I will leave in a small Chinese container overnight. Don't put a hide in with them. See how this goes? If this still doesn't work try leaving it in for a couple of days. I don't advocate feeding any other snakes live food, as previously mentioned they can harm your animal. I personally have never had a drama getting them onto thawed mice after they start feeding. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back