Baby Long-Necked Turtle Problems

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

melrick

Hi, I have been having a few problems with my new baby Long-Necked Turtle:

Problem 1)
S/He is only the size of a 20centt piece and i had him/her in a temporary 30cm tank for a few days while i se up a larger one, S/He was happily climbing up out of water and basking on he rock, but since i have moved him/her into a 2ft tank with some sandstone rock at one end, (i read on an internet site that the rock can't be too stlippery or too rough, so put some sand on top of the sandstone rock so i wasn't to rough for him) but s/he just won't get out of the water at all... s/he has now been in the tank for about 2 days now... underwater.
PICT0554.JPG

Problem 2)
I have had the turtle for approx 5 days, and s/he hasn't eaten at all. I am giving him/her 2 pellets of NUTRAFIN Max Turtle Gammarus Pellets, but s/he won't even look at them... i have also tried tadpoles and a piece of lettuce leaves.

I am hoping someone can help me with these 2 problems please. I am worried taht s/he is going to die if s/he stays underwater and doesn't eat.

Thanks,
Matt

I can help you. First of all, dont be worried that the turtle isnt out of the water. Hes probably on the dock during the nightime. Also, some turtles rarely come out fully, some tend to cling onto objects in the tank so they dont use any energy, pretty much resting like this. If he still looks like hes swimming around alright and has some energy and doesnt look stressed hes fine. 2nd of all, i think those nutrafin pellets (actually all turtle pellets) are useless for hatchlings. They never touch them. Try frozen bloodworm and frozen brineshrimp, i can almost guarentee a feeding response. I hope this helps.

I agree with sxc_celly i had the same problem with mine when it was that size. I bloodworm worked well for a few weeks them changed to turtle started and now he is on a mix of turtle tucker, pellets and live

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back