Baby pythons can't swallow??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zobo

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
All,
A mate has a clutch of coastals that all hatched fine and look good etc, but about half of them can't seem to swallow food.
They are only small feeds and the snakes grab them and can get the whole pinky /fuzzy into it's mouth but it won't go further than the neck, they then spit it back out after an hour or so.
Any ideas?
it sounds like a congential deformity, but an ideas?
anyone else had this happen?
thanks
jas

Cut the pinkies head off and get them to eat just that perhaps.

Has he tried food from a different batch ? .....rats as well as mice ?

force feed a mouse tail, just to see if there is an obstruction. if they get that down take it from there. if you cant get it down forcefully, id be taking them to the vet for further inspection. i have heard of this happening befor, i think the oesophogus was knoted or something (didnt hapen to me), animal was put down, it would just starve to death. good uck let us know.

Has he tried sinks (this worked for two of my hatchies) - being smaller they might be a bit easier to get down till they get a bit of growth in them.

They cant even get down a very small pinky. It is not a size thing as I have had same sized pythons eat fuzzy mice. I think there is definately some blockage. I will see if there is any way of force feeding a rat tail next time I see them.
thanks

force feed a mouse tail, just to see if there is an obstruction. if they get that down take it from there. if you cant get it down forcefully, id be taking them to the vet for further inspection. i have heard of this happening before, i think the oesophogus was knoted or something (didnt hapen to me), animal was put down, it would just starve to death. good uck let us know.

I would try what Jason said ..... Do keep us posted on how it goes.......

Has he tried sinks (this worked for two of my hatchies) - being smaller they might be a bit easier to get down till they get a bit of growth in them.

Yes, I find bath tubs are way to big. And they all turned their noses up with basins. :lol:

I'm fairly positive all skinks in Australia are at least endemic - Asian House Geckos on the other hand are not, but they can carry parasites.

If you think there is an obstruction I would not continue to try and feed them anything. This may result in tears or other injuries. Get them to a vet asap for a proper diagnosis.

thing is they are not my snakes and old mate with them is a back-yarder, not on line and not likely to go to a vet, but will pass on info to him ASAP.
Jas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back