baby spotted python wont eat

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

huhaa

Reaction score
Hi everyone my name is jason and i have a baby spotted python who will not eat he did not eat last week due to shedding so all up its been about two weeks that he has not eaten tried him on thawed pinkie mice and even live pinkie mice and he still wont eat i dont know what to do if someone could help would be apreciated

Hasnt eaten for 2 weeks and you have already hit the panic button,chill out.Snakes can and will go off their food for months at a time,especially in the cooler months,its nothing to worry about atm.Make sure the temperature in the cage is correct,how long have you had it,has it eaten b4 for you.Some more details would also be a benefit.

yeah pythons 73 i have had the snake for two weeks the bloke i bought him off said he has eaten before i purchased it but now i remember he said if it wont take a pinkie try a rats tail and my temperatures are in the cool end it is at 25 degrees and at the warm end it is 31 degrees and no since i have had him he has not eaten for me

Probably just settling in, give it time. Leave him alone unless you need to change dirty substrate for a week and then try again.

Apart from housing and temperature needs, don't forget that you can stimulate the feeding response i.e. scenting the food item using skink tails and dragging the prey item behind the neck and head to stimulate a strike response. Other ways could be timing (i.e. time of day -> evening feeders) or leaving the food overnight and covering the container. I've had some that onle like to feed during certain times of the day and some that prefer their food left outside the hide and the viv covered - don't like bein watched when they feed.

Just let him-her settle into its new enviroment for a week or two,then try feeding.Hopefully its just stressed from the moving,just be a little patient.In this time try and leave it alone except to clean or change water.Then offer the food,if it doesnt accept it,wait another week and try again,best of luck...

has it got a heat matt and also ive been told of a breeder u can use cooked chicken skin
to rub on the mice or rat hope it helps

I'd give it time, it is in the cooler months as said.
Sometimes one of my snakes just won't take food, particuarly lately as it has gotten colder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back