Baby tree frog tips?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frogmancan

Reaction score
Hey guys, in the coming weeks i will be purchasing 2 three month old green tree frogs. I have a exo terra enclosure 60x45x45 (H,W,L). I have 2 nice sticks, 2 fake plants to hang down the sides and a fern with a rock base to put in the middle. I also have a large water bowl, as i think keeping the water on the enclosure floor will turn into a hassle. I also have a uvb globe, and a 50 watt heat globe to keep temp above 18-23c this coming winter. I would like to hear everyones tips how often to feed, what to feed, how much, when to stop feeding them twice a day, and any other tips on feeding. I would also like to know what substrate to use, coco peat, large bark chips(similar to the ones in public playground, without the high dust particles), fine small pebbles, or 3-4cm rocks on the ground. I have heard good things and bad things abour rocks, and peat, and I would like to finally decide. Remember I have a water bowl, and i will keep humidity around 60-70 year round, to avoid mould growing on the sticks or maby the peat if thats whats recommened. All comments are welcome, thanks guys! :D :D :D

gotta be careful about pebbles. when hunting they sometimes accidently ingest smaller pebbles. this leads to a possibility of problems.

you want hides big enough for the frog, but not small enough for the food...crickets or roaches or what ever your using, to hide in with the frog not being able to eat them, when the frog is sleeping, what ever excess food that is in the tank my turn around and start nibbling or chewing on the frog for moisture or w/e which could in turn cause skin issues or eye issues.

over winter, restrict feeding.....once a week maybe...summer..maybe 2-3 times a week.

spray the enclosure and over the frog with clean water. water from the tap may be heavy metal and fluride filled which just doesnt sound good for a frog. doing so on a warm night, with a male frog, may trigger a call.

use substrates that are easy to clean, can get wet without fouling and wont provide much hiding places for food.

remember, your getting a tree frog, so most of the time they wont be on the ground. but you wont want say news paper on the ground. you could use the fake grass stuff from bunnings, but its not that aesthetically pleasing. what ever substrate is up to you.

if youve got a water bowl...make sure the frog can get out, and clean daily.

frogs are escape artists. make sure your enclosure is seeled and secure.

to be honest, your frogs probably dont need the heat of a 50 watt globe over winter depending on the temp of the room your keeping them in. the ambient temperature in your house should do fine...humans like to live comfortably so it should be fine for the frogs....unless its a really cold night or day

thats about all i can think of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back