Background

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RamsMice

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm in the progress of making a background due to who knows how The cockaroaches go into my other one. The background I'm making at the moment is only a flat peiece of styrofoam going to add ledges all the rest, and any tips or hints on making the actual background shape wise is apperictes also post yours background please.

What Im after is after I have finished creating it, so from step one. glue the pieces together what do I use, what coat do I use so it's hard so nothing can eat it and get into it and then a non toxic paint? Thanks

i used liqiud nails to glue mine together and grout to render it, but i would suggest to use pondite because it has a good look to it when finished and is completely waterproof .

Ill post some pics later

im makin one to, with my perches i've put some 70mm nails through the back of the foam wall into the perch with glue also for strength :) im just gunna paint mine with waterproof paint but give it at least 2 - 3 coats, using a lighter u can burn shapes into the foam for that rocky look

Why dont you use expanda foam you can buy it from bunnings and you can shape it yourself you should only need one can. It is alot easier than gluing and shaping stiro foam.
Just a thought :)

Last edited:
Haha snakes123 post your when done I just started today, in future i might go expand foam it's posionus isn't it but I know that why you coat it. I don't like the sounds of nails though jewyy so liquid nails to glue it got some of that outside so do that first then grout is that to harden it what that worth then pondite cause it looks good everyone talks about ponditea and it waterproof which is good cause I will clean mine also what that worth. Thanks

Last edited:
Make sure the liquid nails ( or equivalent) is water based and safe to use with styrofoam. It will state on the tube if it is or isn't. Using the wrong one will eat into you foam instead of sticking to it.

Ohh true thanks jaxrtfm will have a look what else can I use if it isent for foam. Thanks also what grout and pondite worth.

Ok just found bags of grout so no need to buy that don't have a glue now as it's silcon. What's a glue that super strong ad need to hold a Cunningham skink size on the ledge look in my album to see how big he is would glue even hold him? So pondite more info on that please. Thanks

Last edited:
expanda foam sucks to use and one can is Never enough i prefer to use a Stanley knife regular foam and a bbq lighter and pondite

So NATO after I use grout do I put pondite over it do I have to? If I just use grout is it posionus toxic?

Ok I'm on a role now lol just need to buy some... Is it called pondite or pond tight lol but besides that all under controll will post pic of my progress.

Not much to add to what has been said. I'll tell you though that I find it very easy to shape the foam using an angle grinder. Go over the whole surface in the one direction (horizontally) adding little grooves etc. Once textured you get that worn away canyon/rock look. Looks grouse!

If using an angle grinder please wear a mask! I'd hate to think how fine the ground particles would be.

The product is called pondtite

Hmm an angle grinder thats something I didnt think of... Cheers jaxrtfm and danielk

Why dont you use expanda foam you can buy it from bunnings and you can shape it yourself you should only need one can. It is alot easier than gluing and shaping stiro foam.
Just a thought :)

I've just finished the main part of designing my rock walls, and I can say for an enclosure (900mm x 600mm) you'll need a bit more than just one can of expanda foam. I used 1 x 750ml & 1 x 350ml can to do 1 900mm x 600mm enclosure, and thats even with styrofoam chunks in it.
but in saying that, expanda foam does look quite good once it sets :)

good luck with it all :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back