Background

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If using an angle grinder please wear a mask! I'd hate to think how fine the ground particles would be.

The product is called pondtite

I have only used styro and so the particles are obviously quite large.

Shaping your background…
A soldering iron is useful for shaping the styrene foam or a naked flame. Even a heat length of wire. It is also alcohol soluble so a paint brush or rag dipped in a little metho can be quite useful. Different sized paint brushes can be used for different effects. Just don’t use any naked flames for heat in the same session that you have already used metho. Practice each shaping technique on rubbish bits to get it right before using it on the background. Metho, for example, will easily dissolve a hole right through thick foam if you use too much. Better to use to little and have to do it twice.

From “pimping out the enclosure?” thread…
You can purchase liquid sandstone for the finishing coat, made by megatreat and available in three tones (e.g. desert gold) in their paint department.

Blue

its pretty easy to cut through foam with a chain saw. good for the finer details...

Snakes123, that's still too much detail, I was letting my dog 'design' all the foam for me :p they're all nice small pieces now :lol:

Hey guys I'm in the progress of making a background due to who knows how The cockaroaches go into my other one.

If you are talking about feeder roaches, there is a simple way to keep them contained. Use a straight sided wide and shallow ceramic bowl. Paint the inside side of the bowl with Fluon. The roaches cannot get out and the lizards can help themselves when they want. You can even add a bit of fresh carrot to keep the roaches happy and hydrated.

Blue

do u have to grout over the foam? or can u just paint the pondtite straight onto the foam?

have a look at lizard landscapes on youtube this guy makes everything from waterfalls to hides and complete backgrounds gives you heaps of good ideas definatly worth checking out !!!

it doesnt matter what type of grout you use if you going to put something non toxic over the top or does it matter?

i got the sanitized colorgrout for my custom background and covering it with 3 or 4 layers of that grout then throwing over 2 layers of NON TOXIC acrylic paint followed by 4 or 5 layers of non toxic acrylic sealer.

i think that should be fine for what i need to do, dont you reckon or would there be a question mark on it??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back