Bad slough

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CHEWY

Reaction score
Two of my snakes have just sloughed in the last three days. The first went off without a hitch. Two days later the female shed, and upon closer inspection, noticed that she wasn't totally ready. She has ripped off a few random scales just leaving the white middle. Some have just removed the surface of the scale and on her tail, has removed a little deeper so that it looks like a gravel rash - weeping and a bit of blood.
Poor girl. :(

not good, up the humidity a bit maybe. paint the sores with betadine. :?

What has she got to rub against? Are there any rocks or items with really sharp edges? What are your current temps and humidity?

Yep dab the sore or open bits with topical betadine and always give your snakes a rough surface to use for shedding in their enclosure.I always have a good rock and branch in every enclosure!!!

pop her in a rough damp calico bag ..... get her nice and damp keep spraying the bag with water, betadine on the wounds... once its really soft, like you get wrinkly in the bath? helps her with any loose stuff, poor little chicken, turn the humidty right up, big water bowl directly under the heat lamp. Im sorry for your bad time...

Angel

Yeah, not sure what caused it. There's no loose skin, it's all come off. The bowl was under the light and it's got rough surfaces to rub against, but she always seems to shed inside her hide. Alwys find the skin is a tight ball as though she's been doing laps inside it. I already gave her a bath and will get onto the anticeptic.

I have a bhp that always seems to take a scale off here and there during a shed. One piece sheds also.

ok thanks. Sorry bout all the questions, but just a newbie here to snakes and want to be sure we get everything right before our baby arrives next Saturday.

Hi all,
all my cages have a branch or stick in them, for my hatchlings we have screwed a small piece of dowl across the click clack for them to climb on and use for sheds. If any of them have trouble I soak them in warm water with a camomile tea bag, you can leave it for upto 3 hours on a warm day then run it through a towel on the way back into the tank & that removes any loose skin - did a friends and took 3 days to remove all the shed.

dab it with a snake suitable bedadine typ liquid dont forget to use cotton wool buds. make sure there isnt any things in her terrarium to harm her for the time being pop the humidity up a bit let her regenerate and get better in a week , after a week she fully sloughed and healthy dip her in some oil and shell be squeeky clean . hope it helps just some knowledge i keep inmy head for caring for snakes :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back