Baritji eggs!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hey Guys,
On Friday night, I was cleaning out my monitor enclosures. I opened up my baritji enclosure, and found an egg :shock:. I thought hmm this is weird, and carefully dug up the rest of the substrate, and I found two more. Anyway, after a short talk to 'noone' (thanks for ya help) I put the eggs on moist paper towels, in a container in my ****ty incubator.

The next morning, I took the single good egg down, to a VERY experienced herp's house. The egg APPEARS to be fertile to him. He is now incubating it for me.

Whats weird about this? Well, for the last 2 years, this animal has been kept ALONE, and it was only about 20cm TL when it was seperated from other members of its clutch..

What are peoples thoughts on this?

I have an A. childreni that annually produces a clutch of slugs without ever having been paired with a male. I've got no idea why it happens though sorry...

Just another meaning to the phrase "go .... yourself!"

I have fish that do it all the time, eggs all over, but never a member of the opposite sex in site. And always duds.

:shock: If that egg's fertile... Lol, would be pretty amazing to say the least. I guess we'll have to wait and see, though chances are it's a cleaner looking slug, right? Did he candle it or just look at it?

Sam,
Nah mate, he didnt candle it, but he said it looks fertile anyway. I doubt it will hatch, but I least I know I have a female heh ;)

Stick a torch under it Brodes....won't hurt it, then you'll know for sure.
I'm keen to see if she lays again.

yay!
brodes has eggs!
let us know what happens

Probably a slug. It's not too unusual to get infertile eggs that look good, I've had it in dragons and snakes a few times. I've never had it in goanna eggs though. Actually, I've never had a goanna egg that didn't hatch.

Keep us posted, Baritji!

hey_im_sam said:
:shock: If that egg's fertile... Lol, would be pretty amazing to say the least. I guess we'll have to wait and see, though chances are it's a cleaner looking slug, right? Did he candle it or just look at it?

Virgin birth?? Could be the start of a new religion! :shock: Hail Olive, full of rat........ etc. :?

Good luck Brodes, intresting stuff! How much would you charge for an immaculate baby?
Varanus immaculatii :wink: I wonder if iot will be able to walk on water?

good luck brodes. i know my stick insects reproduce with out males but only produce females can this be the same thing? or are they like chickens?

good luck brodes. i know my stick insects reproduce with out males but only produce females can this be the same thing? or are they like chickens?

What stick insects do you keep? I clone a few species too. I also have the virgin birth geckoes (hey, I must call them that next time I advertise, might sell them faster!)

What do you mean 'like chickens"?

The baritji will taste like chicken if they hatch?

my "male" cockateil layed three eggs the other day!!!
my dad found it and thought i have planted them there as a joke!!!
good luck with the egg brodie!!!

Barjiti sperm storage? Possible.

yeah what sob said, can't some animals store sperm til its the right season to um....fertilise? not sure what breeds that works for but hey its an idea lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back