Bashing in Melbourne

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There has been a huge public backlash regarding this case and the police have announced they have issued search warrants for the 3 individuals which means they have their names and addresses. Just hope that the courts do what the people expect, throw the book at em but we all no that this wont occur.
I too tried to break up a fight in my younger days between what ended up being a couple, they both turned on me and then their freinds jumped in saying i started a fight, i couldn't beleive it here i was thinking i need to help this girl and whammo, still i think i would like to help but no one would know until they were in that exact situation. You cannot reason with a drunk,junkies or Roid raged madmen, remove yourself from these situations and you will be ok.

I live in Melbourne and work in the CBD. I do early morning and late night shifts and I also go out in the city and frequent Chapel St. I have never witnessed a bashing or extreme violence. There is violence everywhere. In every city. After living overseas and comparing, Melbourne is a VERY safe city.

As for jumping into help a hand, I personally wouldn't. Like waruikazi said, call for help and first aid after. You don't know who is carrying a knife or other weapon!

I hope they catch these idiots and punish them accordingly. Cowards like this are disgusting and there is no need for violence. Shame on them!

If you are not capable of stopping it yourself there are other ways . A loud yell of " THE COPS ARE HERE " will get most bullies running away .

I'm not saying just jump in & start beating on these young morons...
But if everyone had the mentality of "lets not get involved we don't want to get hurt"
The world would be a horrible place!

It's the caring considerate type that step in & lend a hand to those in need..
It's not for everyone but thank god there are some people out there still
willing to step in when someone is helpless..

Unfortunately for this guy no one cared enough
to stop him from being beaten to a pulp.
While everyone else around just stood there handing out popcorn

I'm hardly the caring considerate type but would step in every time, without fail. I've copped a few punches breaking up fights and if I end up with a bruise or a swollen eye and the other victim gets to walk away it's worth it.

Tooninoz,
You typed "This type of crap just gets more coverage with a hungry media, an even hungrier audience and advanced technology.
*Note the constant allusions to how he was such a 'gentle soul', a budding champ footballer etc*
Thats what gets people psyched up.... """"""""

Not sure what you mean by your "Allusions" comment but personally I think they were in bad tatste. Are you assuming what has taken place prior to the event? It's not really fair to judge the chap that's had the crap beaten out of him or to judge his mate whom he was trying to save.

I also believe the police have the details of at least one of the offenders.;)

Moosey I'd go out with you any time. At least I know you'd have my back and I yours.

i know the poor bloke and trust me although it was by no means an unprovoked attack ... it was not called for

I'm with Shamous and Moosenoose on this one. I've stepped in to help people when things were 'out-of-hand' and I know it has helped.
What if it was one of your loved ones at the raw end of the deal - would you want/expect bystanders to step in?

you are lucky Mr Happy that in the cases where you jumped in one or more of the offenders werent armed with a knife. In a case like that you wouldnt be much help. just make more work for the paramedics and take up another hospital bed.

if it was one of my friends in trouble then of course i would try and help. if it was a stranger then i would help not by jumping in but calling police and helping after. i know tho that if any of my friends sensed violence or someone was mouthing them off, they would just turn around and walk away. dont give a look, not a word, just walk away.

also the courts need to come down harder on these people! it annoys me when you hear of them getting a warning and community service. i am hoping they will really make an example of these guys tho as the victorian government is really trying to crack down on CBD violence. lets just hope they catch them and throw the book at them!

I'm not saying just jump in & start beating on these young morons...
But if everyone had the mentality of "lets not get involved we don't want to get hurt"
The world would be a horrible place!

It's not for everyone but thank god there are some people out there still
willing to step in when someone is helpless..

Unfortunately for this guy no one cared enough
to stop him from being beaten to a pulp.
While everyone else around just stood there handing out popcorn

I'm hardly the caring considerate type but would step in every time, without fail. I've copped a few punches breaking up fights and if I end up with a bruise or a swollen eye and the other victim gets to walk away it's worth it.

Tooninoz,
You typed "This type of crap just gets more coverage with a hungry media, an even hungrier audience and advanced technology.
*Note the constant allusions to how he was such a 'gentle soul', a budding champ footballer etc*

Not sure what you mean by your "Allusions" comment but personally I think they were in bad tatste. Are you assuming what has taken place prior to the event? It's not really fair to judge the chap that's had the crap beaten out of him or to judge his mate whom he was trying to save.

I also believe the police have the details of at least one of the offenders.;)

Moosey I'd go out with you any time. At least I know you'd have my back and I yours.

I'm with Shamous and Moosenoose on this one. I've stepped in to help people when things were 'out-of-hand' and I know it has helped.
What if it was one of your loved ones at the raw end of the deal - would you want/expect bystanders to step in?

I think you guys and girls have a very simplistic view.

A mate of mine jumped in to break up a fight a couple of months back. He's now up on an assault charge because he grabbed one of the blokes in a head lock. It's on security tape and the angle makes it look like he punched the other bloke from behind. Now he is looking at jail and at very least a crim record for violence. There goes his career in psychology.

Do as you wish but remember there are other ways of helping rather than 'breaking it up.'

You guys are also forgetting that that's exactly what this young man was doing. He was trying to 'break the fight up.'

A mate of mine jumped in to break up a fight a couple of months back. He's now up on an assault charge because he grabbed one of the blokes in a head lock. It's on security tape and the angle makes it look like he punched the other bloke from behind. Now he is looking at jail and at very least a crim record for violence. There goes his career in psychology.

Do as you wish but remember there are other ways of helping rather than 'breaking it up.'

You guys are also forgetting that that's exactly what this young man was doing. He was trying to 'break the fight up.'

We are not saying everyone should jump in and help. We are saying we would jump in and help and I still would do it everytime.

Have you heard the saying, "Its better to be judge by 12 than carried by 6"?.

In a past working life I have been involved in many arrest's. I have been the victim of more assualts than I can remember. I have a few stab/slash wounds, have been stuck with a syringe, had bumps the size of golf balls all over my head, been run down and ragged under the cars and been thrown up over the bonnets of 2 others, broken ribs just to name a few injuries sustained.

Sure there things that can be done to avoid becoming involved in a physical way. Yelling out Police are coming etc is a great way.

Can you tell me where the difference is between you assisting a mate who is being gang attacked and you assisting a member of the public who is being gang attacked? The answer is there is'nt any and in true respect you are more liable to over react to a friends being bashed than a starnger.

You say your friend is up on assault charges for grabbing someone in a head lock!!!! That was his first mistake. The pure fact that he has grabbed someone in a headlock in an attempt to restrain someone is not deemed self defense.

Actions speak louder than words and if there is decent footage on cctv your mate needs to show true and proper cause as to why a head lock was necessary. I doubt he will cop jail but then again I do not know the specifics of the case and of course it could also depend on any injury sustained.

Things could also depend on past criminal activity or charges. First offences rarely contain jail/criminal record or conviction and in which case they would'nt affect his career in Pyschology but like I mentioned that depends on witness accounts, statements tendered to the corts and other briefs of evidence.

Once stepping in to help someone is not for everyone and I don't think people who are, how can I say, not trained or not confident enough should step in but I would do it everytime.

No one deserves to be attacked by thugs......no one deserves to be gang bashed.........no one deserves to have their family member left like that by cowards.

To finish off this rather long post I will say that I have a low tolerance for a variety of reasons. I had my grandfather murdered in his own home in Deer Park Victoria in 1989 by an 18 year old. This 18 year old also bashed my grandmother so severely that she basically died 2 years later from her injuries (that and a broken heart).

There used to be the days when you'd have a blew one on one. You'd shake hands and then have a drink and a laugh. It's a sad realization how time are changing.

several years ago.. a mate of mine had this really nice young bloke working for him.. He was about 6 foot plus strong and a very good boxer.. he fought in the ring (not sure if amateur or pro) but he was a really quiet and placid young guy..

one night he was walking somewhere through parramatta in sydney with his girlfriend when 4 thugs approached them.. he refused to retaliate to their pushing etc until one of them grabbed his girlfriend.. He knocked two of them out and the third one fell half unconcious to the ground hit his head on a rock and died..

So this quiet young bloke was charged with manslaughter just for trying to defend himself and his girlfriend.. He ended up serving some time in prison on top of it all as he was a boxer and deemed lethal or something or other..

my point being stuff like this can happen even when your defending yourself.. and if you jumped in to help someone else and someone died similar to the above story.. imagine the nightmare that would follow..

Im not saying dont step in to help people.. but weigh up the consequences before hand..

why cant people just be nice to each other??? :rolleyes:

Seeing as the young bloke was trying to break up the fight to help his mate out,I wouldn't hesitate to have his back to try and prevent such a gutless beating.You can only hope other trueblue aussies would follow suit and stop the cowards from beating a man when he is down.I couldn't forgive myself if I had walked away and done nothing.Makes my blood boil!

Tooninoz,

Nah, you've missed the point entirely. What I was suggesting was that this only makes news because people are hungry for it, technology now provides it and then we have to be told that the victim was a worthy person as he played state footy, gentle soul etc etc. What's the point?

What if the bloke had been homeless? Would that then mean he was somehow deserving??
It's bollocks.

As for your bit about judging? C'mon, you're a similar age to me. You've probably been round the block a few times. I've seen this kinda stuff in England, Canowindra NSW and on the Goldy amongst other places. It happens.
But I'm still yet to see a 100% unprovoked incident. Not to say that it doesn't happen, but the balance of probability hangs pretty heavy in my favour I reckon.

We are not saying everyone should jump in and help. We are saying we would jump in and help and I still would do it everytime.

Have you heard the saying, "Its better to be judge by 12 than carried by 6"?.

In a past working life I have been involved in many arrest's. I have been the victim of more assualts than I can remember. I have a few stab/slash wounds, have been stuck with a syringe, had bumps the size of golf balls all over my head, been run down and ragged under the cars and been thrown up over the bonnets of 2 others, broken ribs just to name a few injuries sustained.

Sure there things that can be done to avoid becoming involved in a physical way. Yelling out Police are coming etc is a great way.

Can you tell me where the difference is between you assisting a mate who is being gang attacked and you assisting a member of the public who is being gang attacked? The answer is there is'nt any and in true respect you are more liable to over react to a friends being bashed than a starnger.

You say your friend is up on assault charges for grabbing someone in a head lock!!!! That was his first mistake. The pure fact that he has grabbed someone in a headlock in an attempt to restrain someone is not deemed self defense.

Actions speak louder than words and if there is decent footage on cctv your mate needs to show true and proper cause as to why a head lock was necessary. I doubt he will cop jail but then again I do not know the specifics of the case and of course it could also depend on any injury sustained.

Things could also depend on past criminal activity or charges. First offences rarely contain jail/criminal record or conviction and in which case they would'nt affect his career in Pyschology but like I mentioned that depends on witness accounts, statements tendered to the corts and other briefs of evidence.

Once stepping in to help someone is not for everyone and I don't think people who are, how can I say, not trained or not confident enough should step in but I would do it everytime.

No one deserves to be attacked by thugs......no one deserves to be gang bashed.........no one deserves to have their family member left like that by cowards.

To finish off this rather long post I will say that I have a low tolerance for a variety of reasons. I had my grandfather murdered in his own home in Deer Park Victoria in 1989 by an 18 year old. This 18 year old also bashed my grandmother so severely that she basically died 2 years later from her injuries (that and a broken heart).

There used to be the days when you'd have a blew one on one. You'd shake hands and then have a drink and a laugh. It's a sad realization how time are changing.

Like i said do as you wish but everything you just outlined in your posts i see as reasons why you should not get physically involved in a strangers fight. I think i remember you saying once that you were a cop? (Could be wrong person) Meaning you would have training etc.

You are right no one deserves to be attacked by a bunch of thugs, it has happened to me more than once when i was a teenager and has happened as an adult. But I'd rather rather be called a coward for not stepping in for a stranger who had been beaten to death than step in and get beaten to death myself. Much better that one family goes throgh that than two and i would hate to put my family through that.

Last edited:
Oh, and definitely not suggesting that violence is an appropriate response to an incident. Please be clear on that.
More that every action has a consequence, and people need to understand that. Thats the big bad world.

I'm old enough to remember when most arguments were settled with a "straightener " but those days such as they were are long gone. Growing up in London, it was the done thing to step in, in one of these situations, and you would usually come out of it with the odd clump, because they couldn't hold there hands up, hence the gang attack, but nowadays you'd get a knife in the breadbasket, for your sympathetic intervention.

Last edited:
Shamous My mate is staring at a jail sentence because a week after that fight took place local parliament passed a law that all assaults will carry a mandatory jail term.

Oh and if headlocking someone who is beating your mate up can't be passed off as self defence how can stepping into a fight fight be passed off as self defence?

i agree this should not have happened.

But as yet we are only hearing 1 side of the story that the media have gone to town on, for all we know the lad that copped a floggin may have insighted the whole thing. Again not sayin he deserved it in any way, but ya never know what was said before hand. And if i know footy players which i can assure you i know ALOT, i would say most of them have either lippy mouths, superman complex's or just all round tough man attatudes with a splash of one'up'manship added to the mix.

Im sitting on the fence with this one as i have seen many many bar/club fights and 9 times out of 10, the one that gets flogged started the whole thing.

just my opinion cheerz

I know what you're saying waruikazi, and I certainly don't expect everyone or anyone to jump in and help. But always at the back of my mind I know I'd be eternally grateful if it was me having the be-jesus kicked out of me by a bunch of gutless wonders and someone did something to help stop it.

That guy who tried to take on the shooter a year ago in the Melbourne CBD who was viciously beating up on the woman in the street and then shot dead for interfering.......well, that's exactly what I would have done as the consequences take a very distant second place in my books when it comes to trying to help/save someone in need.

Why the hell didn't someone just yell "cops"??? OR anything?? We're a shoulder turning society imo and that's sad. All too often these thugs think they can get away with stuff like this, and they do, comfortable in the knowledge that nobody will do anything to stop or hinder them.

I'd just hope that someone would step in and save my son/daughter/friend from permanent brain-damage whilst it was being dished out by a bunch of gutless "toughies".

I'd love to say I'd help out if a fight broke out but Melbourne reputation seems to be the vigalanties are ending up dead or close to as a result, I'd have to concider my options carefully. Naturally if there is half a dozen by standers also willing to help I wouldn't hesitate to join them in gang-bashing these sorts of cowards.

Presented in this situation I wonder what I would do, I think 90% of the time I wouldn't be able to stop myself from helping, I'd proabably look for a weapon and attack the attackers in the most cowardly way I could think of without any guilt. I do know for sure fear of prosecution wouldn't play a part in making my decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back