bearded dragon alternate food?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Specks

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
hey umm i know blueys can eat some cat food and crunched up dog food biscuits. wat about beardies can they have wet dog food,or dry dog food and other like that. just wondering.

thanks guys

yes thanks legs but it would be good to hear if some people here actually do it?

they might wet food. dont think any reptiles eat dry dog food. i have done it before but i think its best to stick with live foods and fruit & veg.

Someone suggested to me canned cat food, as long as it isn't fish. But my beardies wouldn't touch it. So I give that stuff a miss now and stick with vegies/salad and live food.

Yep- no point tryin to cut corners for the sake of it mate- just stick with a good variety of fruit & Veg, if dog food was meant for dragons it wouldn't be called dog food.

Of course they love chasing woodies, mealworms and crickets.....top 'em up with some multivitamins a couple of time a week; throw in a little calcium from time to time, and give em an hour of sun every day if you can- and you will have yourself a very healthy dragon.

I have tried the so called "dragon food" and wet it a little to soften it up for the younger ones- but NONE of them seem to like it at all- same with blueys- and I have tried every brand there is- but a good variety of the above is the way to go- a little more natural at least.

yeh i do all the stuff u said except give them dog food. i thought it might of been an idea but obviously not. you can give blueys canned dog food cant you

canned dog food for blueys is fine. its fine for beardies aswell except they probably wont eat much of it if any. some will eat it but i suspect most wont

yeh i knew canned was good for blueys but have to 100%. my new baby bluey who is like a few days old that i got for free started scoffing carrot and the canned food. oh btw my eastern beardie just had canned food. he is a pig eats anything i reckon

nah only little bit. he eats lots of crickets and lots of veges

here are two words to describe wat and how he eats. EVERYTHING!, PIG!

All my centrals love vegie/salad especially peas, but go nuts for live food, especially meal worms. They'll jump out of the enclosure just to get them!

i wouldn't feed my reps tinned dog food.... mind you i probably wouldn't feed my dog it either.

There is nothing wrong in feeding your dragons "wet dog food" for a balanced diet including alot of greens , pellets and insects..its a good alternative. For those of you who keep quite a few dragons it can be expensive feeding alot of mouths throughout the warmer months. Dog food can be a good alternative. The problem is { as with beared dragon pellets} It takes quite some time to get your beardies to eat it..You just have to be patient..the early you start the better.

i tick all those boxes/ they have a very good diet of carrot, boc choi, crickets, clover leaves, and bits of wet dogfood.they also get woodies as well and all live food is dusted with reptical. i take good care of my guys. oh and btw i got a baby bluey the oher day and his first feed he loves dog food and carrot. goes bonkers for woodies.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back