bearded dragon colours

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ajandj

Reaction score
Hi all, l'm new here and new to bearded dragons. I have just applied for a basic licence. I have an enclosure and everything l need except for a UV bulb. Anyway, what l really want to know is colouring of bearded dragons. A pet shop guy told me that northerns turn red as they get older. Is this true? The ones l have seen are all babys and northerns and easterns look the same. Do they all change colour as they get bigger and how will l know what colour they will turn?

Cheers,
Jane

Central beardies (pogona vitticeps) are the ones that tend to colour up the best, easterns (pogona barbata) stay browny/grey, pretty rare to get colours although i have seen some pics of coloured easterns.

Centrals come in yellow/red/orange/white and normal, normal being grey.

if youre looking at babies the best way to know what colour to expect is to view the parents,...most speople will advertise as 'hatchies from red parents' or something like that.

if youre buying from a petshop you'll have to believe what they tell you regarding the parents colouring. :)

what chris said and also make sure you view the parents of what you buying.... alot of advertised "yellow beardies" just look grey instead of the bright lemon yellow they should!

Some hatchies will show very early signs of colour, others will develop it a bit later. And pairings of coloured parents will produce hatchies that show no colour, so viewing the parents may not be an indication of anything. You can generally get an idea fairly early on what hatchies will be what.

Not really, some people are working with pale 'hypo' henrylawsoni, but only the centrals come in the bright yellows and red.

There are some smaller P. michelli that are quite colorful but they don't come up for sale very often.

Do pygmy bearded dragons have any colours morphs other than normal?

bearded-dragon-02.jpg

wild colour
Blood%20Red%20father2.JPG

red
yellow.jpg

yellow
white.jpg

white

all images from google hope this helps you out a bit :D

The red one's underweight.
On the topic of Pogona, have there ever been Small-scaled Bearded Dragon/Kimberley Bearded Dragons (Pogona microlepidota) in captivity (including zoos, collecters w/e)?

someone was selling albinos on this site a lil while back i didnt think there where any?

Helikanon,
I love yours :)
white beardies are the only ones I like,
soooo cute!

The yellow eye band on the second one is nice too!

Albino dragons don't really work what with the UVA/UVB requirements and the like. That's why albino snakes are good.

Albino beardies have never been bred only produced (i.e. the albinos themselves have never lived to adulthood).

That wild colour one looks a lot whiter than any of the wilds I have seen, they vary a lot in colour in the wild too. The ones in Western SA are the source of the captive brick red ones like what are bred by Rick Walker.

thanks for the nice comments guys, heres a pic of some of last seasons bubs. hopefully they will breed for me again, this yearprobably only gonna incubate one clutch though beardies take a lot of my time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back