Bearded dragon enclosure, please help :)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TacoWhiteley

Reaction score
Hello!
i am setting up a bearded dragon for the first time, i have a 4ft tank and i am just wondering with having a Zoo Med Reptisun 10.0 High Output UVB Bulb and ProRep Neodymium Daylight Spotlamps do i need any other heating or lighting? sorry if this seems like a dumb question! but please help,

Mimmi. x :)

sounds good so far just make sure the hot spot keep a fairly high temp 35 deg +

mate this is what you need
you need a 75w -100w basking bulb. This bulb should be on one side of the tank and should be positioned so that the dragon can bask in 45 degree celcius heat. You should use a thermometer to measure it.
Then you will need a fluro uvb reptisun10 tube which you have and you need to place it 6-8 inches from the dragon so it can get the uvb rays.

Alright wicked :) thank you heaps for that, Also, i hear that heat rocks and heat mats aren't very good for these reptiles as they can burn themselves, is this true?

Very true. Bearded dragons don't have heat receptors (nor pain) in their stomachs. Thats why when heat rocks malfunction (which happens often) they get super hot and burn the beardie. Also do you have a thermostat for the heatlight? Its important to keep a steady temp. No night heating will be needed what you have got is fine.

Alright :) i won't be using one of those then! haha.
uh yeah i bought a Thermometer & Humidity Gauge, is that right?

Another question, Sorry about all the questions.
i HEAR playsand is okay for older Bearded Dragons were as the younger ones can't use it because the swallow to much of it, but is it true its okay for the older Beardies? i know a friend who uses it and has never had a problem with his but i have also read really bad stories..

xx

Alright :) i won't be using one of those then! haha.
uh yeah i bought a Thermometer & Humidity Gauge, is that right?

Another question, Sorry about all the questions.
i HEAR playsand is okay for older Bearded Dragons were as the younger ones can't use it because the swallow to much of it, but is it true its okay for the older Beardies? i know a friend who uses it and has never had a problem with his but i have also read really bad stories..

xx

I personally would not suggest putting a baby on anything bud paper or tile. Same for an adult. If you want to use sand use red desert sand or washed play sand. Try and compact it down hard so it will not stick to their food or tongues. Remember that the urine of the dragon can seep into the sand and smell and harvest bacteria. Thats why paper or tiles is better :)

Yeah, if your going for looks try an artificial grass. It looks great and its super safe. If not go tiles or the good old newspaper. Its good you have thermometers, but you will need a thermostat. The thermostat is connected to the heat light. On the thermostat you set a temperature, so say you put your thermostat on the wall in the middle of your enclosure, you would set it at 30c. It has a built in thermometer and it will turn the heat light on till it gets to 32 degrees, then turn the heat light off so it doesn't over heat. Then when it cools to 28, it will turn it back on so it doesn't get to cold. You can buy wall thermostats for about $50 fully wired. Hope all that makes sense, hey shoot me a pm if you have any more questions. :)

Alright, Thanks heaps guys for all of your help! i really appreciate it :)
if you guys know any Breeders or places i can buy bearded dragons for close to Sydney, Blue Mountains, please let me know! xoxox.
THANK YOU AGAIN! xxx!

I use a mercury vapor bulb for my pygmy bearded dragons and highly recommend it. They definitely picked up once I moved to a MVB and they're much more active. I'm getting around the same temps, but it must be the light output..

so can anyone show me proof that these heat rocks fail? as far as i am aware this was only a problem in older heat rocks and not in anything new. correct me if i am wrong

cheers

My heat rocks in my snake enclosures have been good for a year now. Playsand is a recommended substrate in the bearded dragon manual and mine seem to enjoy it. They are about 6 months. I had grass (artificial) and tiles (ceramic and slate) - they hated it all.

Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back