bearded dragon pellets?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

repti

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys :D

I feed my B.D fresh veggies and live crickets daily, but I was having a trawl through something online and saw that you can buy bearded dragon pellets. Just wondering if anyone actually uses them? The brand I saw were Rep Cal and it says on the description, and I quote

"Rep-Cal Bearded Dragon Foods are fortified with optimal levels of vitamins and minerals like calcium and vitamin D3 so no other food supplements are required"

I normally dust my crickets with calcium and vitamins, but obviously with a food like this there is no need for that. I know my BD loves his veggies, But if we go out overnight by the time we get back the next afternoon, his veggies are a bit dry and sorry looking.

Just wondering if anyone uses these types of food as a sort of emergency food supply. Like whilst I'm out his got crickets and the veggies are fresh and sprayed with water, but they do dry out. I was thinking that these pellets might be a good option to fill the time in-between his meals. Or maybe a total waste of time :shock:

Frankie (B.D) is just on the cusp of hatchie/juvenile at 8-10 weeks old. He only ever gets left overnight, never more than from one morning to the next afternoon, maybe evening.

Cheers!

P.S Just noticed they also sell a 'bearded dragon combo' which includes the pellets, a tub of vitamin powder and a tub of calcium powder.... so either they're lying about the pellets having enough supplements - or they want more money lol

Last edited:
I bought some a few months back and give my 2 beardies a small ammount once a week for something different. 1 Beardie prefers to eat them dry.. seems to like the "crunch" they produce and the other likes them soaked in a lil water or Orange Juice. Still feed them the usuall daily veggies and Woodies every 2nd day, but i thought any extra calcium/vitamins cant hurt..

I asked about the pellets at the reptile store once and they said theres not much point in feeding beardies that stuff,live food and fresh greens are always better for them when you can manage it.

Most bearded dragon pellets are rubbish, soy or corn based and not good as a staple. The best one I have found is Jurassi Diet which is alfalfa based but the vet (Dr Shane Simpson) said even that should only be offered once a week at the most. He told me the very best thing to feed other than insects is native foods like banksia flower petals, grevillia, bottlebrush, native grasses etc, followed by wild greens like nasturtium flowers and greens, dandelion flowers and greens, clover, then veges and then fruit as a treat only. This was in response to lizards at work developing what appears to be thyroid issues from being fed pellets as a staple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back