Bearded dragon Problem!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicken

Reaction score
Hey guys, well i have a 2 year old Bearded dragon. In March i bred her to a 3 year old male, and 25 days later she laid some eggs. 30 days later she laid another clutch. Then she was coming up for a 3rd clutch and got a metabolic disease so a few months later (August) she laid that 3'rd clutch. Now that was 35 days ago. The Vet said she has no more eggs but i'm not so sure. Her belly is very saggy, and i can slightly feel some eggs. But nothing certain. My problem is that the last 4 days she has been up at her glass going frantic and scratching! I think i need to get more doors they're so scratched. She has already lost 2 nails and i'm very worried. About 1 week ago we moved her from the garage were its peaceful to out the back on our veranda (with a roof) were she can see moving trees and what not. Ok so i have fed her lots and she ate a little bit, but not like usual. I put her in a 20L box of sand (lay box) which she has laid in the past 3 times and she just tried to climb out.... i rang my local reptile store they said to lower the temps to 28, that didn't help, i have let her out and run around heaps and when she's in my room and she runs around she goes straight to the window and starts glass dancing at that. I thought maybe she might be a little dehydrated so i gave her a nice long bath, back in the cage and back to glass dancing. Tell me something i haven't tried? If your not sure what i mean by glass dancing (i'm sure every beardie has done it before) i can put up a few pics. Please help guys i'm not sure whats wrong.. Thanks.

if u think she has eggs still then take it to the vet and get her xrayed.
what are the temps in the enclosure hotend/basking temp and cold/ cool area temp ?

i just took the temps and the basking spot is 41c and the hot end is 35c and the cool end is 27c! Bit high.. i didn't notice. I've given her some capsicum (her fav.) and i lowered the temps to 22c on the thermostat so should be about 35 on basking spot. I also put a towel over the windows so ill see if she calms down a bit. I might have another feel of her stomach, and see if i feel any eggs. I cant get her xrayed i know it sounds silly, but i cant exactly afford it, there is only one reptile vet in my area (40 mins away) and they charge a lot! When she had the metabolic disorder it cost me $400 bucks which i had saved up for ages for a green tree frog. They had to keep her overnight and do xrays and antibiotics. Ill update soon.

still scratching and trying to get out. I feel so bad i don't know what i'm doing.. Im going to try a different tub and substrate for her. Is a mix of coco peat and play sand ok? Ill try a bigger tub too.

Anyone? I really need help she could do a bad injury i cant calm her down please what would you do in my shoes? I've tried everything...

hey,
some things for you to try :-

there is a good chance that if your baby is scratching at the glass, it can see something outside (or maybe its reflection) of the glass ...

you can use butchers paper (or newspaper or black contact) on the outside of the enclosure to stop the reflection or what ever it is that she is going nuts about ....

good luck ... use towels for a short term solution ?

Kel

Humm ever bred beardies not allowed too,my juvie scratchs at night,maybe try holding her gently and when you put her down pat her??????,oh i put blankets over mines cage and hasn't scratch as much.

I had a similar problem with one of my beardies, I just covered the glass so she couldn't see out and it solved the problem. If you are going to use a dark coloured paper it is best to cover from the inside as putting it on the outside may still allow her to see her reflection.

ok i've put a towel over the glass a fair while ago and didn't do much. Im holding her now and slowly stroking her an it seems to be calming her down a bit but ill see what happens when i put her back in.

P1000281.jpgP1000282.jpgP1000283.jpgP1000284.jpgP1000285.jpg

I go to Lort smith Animal hospital in North Melbourne. The exotic reptile vet is Dr Sasha. Heres some pics of what she sees out of her cage.

she has calmed down a lot and she's just eaten a whole lot of woodies. She has lost two nails the poor girl she must've been in a bit of pain :( I feel so bad.

Lort smith are pricey..

I got a herp vet 5 min from me (Taylors Lakes) if you want i can find out how much for an xray if you can still feel the eggs.

Glad to hear she is settling down a bit :)

Ok mate, i'm not all that sure she is gravid.. it was the outside surroundings she saw that put her off. I thought i could feel something but it could've just been an organ or something i only felt one. Besides the Vet said she has none left.. and that was only last Saturday. But ill take down that address for future thanks. And hows that Fluron going? Are they allowing you to send it? Cheers.

Just a though did the Glass dancing only start now that you have moved her outside.
it might be the glare/ light relflection on the glass that has spooked her.
not to keep discrupting her, but maybe try a less open/ sunny spot with no traffic

as i know when i moved my Netteds to a different room, one which is warmer and gets more light, mine went bonkers at the glass, constantly scratching, and trying to climb the walls, now ihve put them back into there old spot they have settled.

glad to hear that she has setted down

its probably not the same cause but all my beardies go nuts like that if they are hungry and spot something that looks like a cricket or woodie out side the enclosure

yeah mine do the same. they see something that looks like food and they go nuts. or if and when theyre hungry they do the same... i think it sa means of getting your attention so you give them food. if they cant see you they wont do it. putting towels over the enclosure will therefore stop them scratching coz they cant see you

well mine does it when it doesn't see me and today and yesterday it didn't eat! Im starting to get worried and if it means so i will be forced to move it back to the garage. Even though how bad that is.

well well well!!! Surprise Surprise, as i type she is (-----)!! Well the last 5 days or so she hasn't eaten, and she's just continuously scratching at the doors. So today we moved her inside and she was still scratching at the doors. The past week when i put her in her lay box she just tried climbing out of that. So i watched her for a while today and i observed her walk up to a rock and starting doing that digging motion and then i realised she must be gravid!! I was kicking myself for not letting her dig and lay earlier! But i kind of new it all along she was showing all the signs but she just climbed out of her lay box. So i put her in her lay box agin today and i watched her and once again she tried to get out.. i was going to get her out but i jus waited 5 more minutes and bang she was digging!! (-----) = digging! So hopefully she will lay soon! Ill keep you posted, i have my incubator setup and on, the funny thing is, this clutch is from March this year (last breeding season) so i'm going to give her a big break this summer and fatten her up and try and brumate her next Winter. I bet the silly dope will start brumating over the Summer lol! Thanks everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back