Bearded Dragon - question on egg laying

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bickie

Reaction score
My two and a half year old female laid an egg on top of a log on Saturday arvo. This egg is not viable - it was soft and deflated. She has not laid any more since. She is still very big and you can see the shape of the eggs in her stomach. I have had them since they were 12 weeks and have not had any probs with her. This is their first clutch.
She is eating as normal and appears to be her usual self.
I have added a deeper container for her to dig in. I have also allowed her to wander around the yard in the hopes she found a spot she liked the look of, to no avail. Any more suggestions?

Should I be worried about her holding her eggs, or is this a normal thing.
How long does it normally take from the time you can see the shape of the eggs in the tummy to the time they are laid?

No its not normal - Beardies can get egg bound.

Put her in her tank and give her plenty of red sand that you have wet down with warm water to dig into and bury her eggs - they tend to like to lay near the heat.

If you can see the eggs in her belly then she is well ready to lay. Our girls normally lay within a day or two from when the eggs are obvious...

Last year my beardie layed one random egg, that was yellow..and then did not lay anymore for a fair while after, i dont remember how long. It was her first clutch..so what your saying sounds normal.
Usually when u can feel the eggs and see them bulging, she will lay within a week.
The deeper container sounds good, they like to dig pretty deep, and i always cover the tank with a towel for privacy , that helps alot with laying.

i use a 60L tub with 3inches of coco peat in the bottom, sit half of it on a heat cord , i use an 80w attached to a thermostat. keep the temp at the hot end around 29-30. make sure there is adequate ventilation,put her in cover her up and leave her alone. just pop ya head in every couple hrs. if she is half way through laying let her finish before you grab the eggs

Still nothing new to report.
It has been almost a week since the eggs were noticeable in her tummy.

No doubt she will lay them while I'm at work....

my little girl laid hers while i was at work, which is why i use the thermostat to keep temps at about 29 in the tub, so far all are showing good signs when candled, even the single yellow egg she dropped 3 days before the main clutch is showing veins now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back