Bearded dragon/reptile experts please read....need an explanation, if possible.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reptalica

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Have been a member for sometime but have not posted in recent times. I will cut to the chase and wasn't able to post straight away as I was dealing with the shock of losing my pet bearded dragon after 5 and a half to six years.

It's hard to say whether this was a sudden occurance or something that had been building up but I just basically need some expert advice from those in the know on this topic as to the probable causes for my beardies' death. Like all on here that suffer the loss of a loved I am not asking for anymore sympathy or what not as we all become extremely attached to our herps.

On this particular day, last Sunday, being a nice day I put him out in his enclosure for an hour or so. It was a warmish day and there was nothing out of the ordinary i.e. extreme cold or extreme heat or anything that appeared to may have brought this on.

I am only going to detail my observations on this day so that those who may have some idea or been in a similar situation can assist. I respect the members opinions on here.

He had been out about an hour or so and we had to go up to the shops. I went out to get him from his terrarium and saw that he was clinging to the side wall (mesh) of the enclosure which he often does and he had his mouth, I reckon half way open as they sometimes do to regulate heat.

However, upon a closer inspection and panic setting in from myselfI unzipped the terrarium and shook it a tad and he fell off onto his back and quite clearly was not alive. He seemed and I repeat seemed quite ok when I put him out there. When we retrived him I noticed he was quite hot and his beard whilst not out was almost black, dark grey like and his eyes closed. It was the worst feelings as those who have been there would know.

I knew there was nothing I could do. I even tried to put some water over him. Wishful thinking on my behalf.

On that day and days leading up he certainly hasnt been as active and selective in his feedling, i.e. like blueberries, sprouts etc. I just hope that the blueberries didnt have an insecticide on them but we eat them and pretty sure they were washed first. He does have his quiet times where he will be curled up and very inactive. Given this time of the year is this very unusual, can be normal or slightly unusual????

I would appreciate any feedback. Obviously doesnt bring him back but have been really down the past few days because of this and having no idea whatsosver happened.

And for those this has happened to what were your future plans? Replace straight away? A few months??? Never?? A different reptile???

Again any thoughts or advice would be most welcome.

I got her off a member from here called Liz, just cant remember her user name.

Thanks all.

sorry for your loss. only really one way to be sure of cause of death, and that is to get a rep vet to do a post mortem. i had a coastal pass from a tumour early last year. i eased my pain with a GTP

sorry for your loss. only really one way to be sure of cause of death, and that is to get a rep vet to do a post mortem. i had a coastal pass from a tumour early last year. i eased my pain with a GTP

Thanks maddog. It's a tough gig having to deal with a loss of a loved one, albeit a pet. I know how attached some of us get to our pets. We dealt with it then and there and buried him that day. Didnt want to prolong it any further and at least "little man" left us with some dignity and hopefully not endured any pain.

He had been out about an hour or so and we had to go up to the shops. I went out to get him from his terrarium and saw that he was clinging to the side wall (mesh) of the enclosure which he often does and he had his mouth, I reckon half way open as they sometimes do to regulate heat.

However, upon a closer inspection and panic setting in from myselfI unzipped the terrarium and shook it a tad and he fell off onto his back and quite clearly was not alive. He seemed and I repeat seemed quite ok when I put him out there. When we retrived him I noticed he was quite hot and his beard whilst not out was almost black, dark grey like and his eyes closed. It was the worst feelings as those who have been there would know.

Sorry for your lost mate... With your descriptions of what happened I would say he died of heat stroke. Unfortunately a post motem is the only way to really determine this.

RIP, beardie. My condolences.

It does sound like he could have overheated, but without a necropsy it's hard to be sure. Even then you might not get a conclusive answer. By your description of him clinging to the mesh, it sounds like there was ventilation. Did he have shade and water?

Thanks for the feedback thus far peeps. On the whole beardie was a fairly lazy little bugger as I rarely if at all over the time I had him saw him drink out of his water bowl. The only time he used to have a decent go at it was when he had a bath. Admittedly I hadnt put water in his terrarium on this day but never had when he had been out there as the time spent outside was minimal and the temps were hardly in the extremities. I had the perception that given they are a dry/hot weather animal that they would be better equipped to deal with warmer conditions. Does being captive bred change things significantly compared to those say who spend the majority of their lives in harsh conditions i.e. Central Australia.

Still scratching my head here.

Thanks for the contributions thus far.

Anyone got any thoughts as to going forward what kind of reptile I should consider? Might have opened up a can of worms here.

I will post some pics of his enclosure to give u some idea. Cheers.

Hi Jas. Yeah he sure did have shade and that's the surprising thing is that when he has had enough of the direct sun he never normally hesitates to head to the shaded area.

On saying that, I don't want to sound like I am "flogging a dead horse".

Was just seeing if there were any obvious answers, but I guess with unexpected death it's just that.

Thanks again.

Hi Jas. Yeah he sure did have shade and that's the surprising thing is that when he has had enough of the direct sun he never normally hesitates to head to the shaded area.

On saying that, I don't want to sound like I am "flogging a dead horse".

Was just seeing if there were any obvious answers, but I guess with unexpected death it's just that.

Thanks again.
well yeah anything could have happend , a spider bite - or jusr plain heart failure . either way it duz suck when a loved animal passes away .

Yep sure does bud. We keep a wide variety of domestic animals. We have silver sharks and if I had my time again, I wouldn't get them as they r very flighty and basically knock themselves out and haemorrage. Sad but true. Down to one of the five we had but have a handful of blue gourami's to keep him company now.

As far as beardie goes, immediately after the shock I vowed not to get another beardie and we still may not. Looking at another reptile but none too sure which path to follow. It's tough when u like them all.

I saw a ripper of a rattlesnake on that Conan show from the states the other night. He had these animal handlers bringing in things like a porcupine, eagle owl (what a brilliant bird!) and lastly an eastern rattlesnake of some variety. Amazing.

Here I have attached 3 pics of his enclosure which is built into the wardrobe on a stand. It runs a 100 watt Megaray Mercury Vapour Bulb and 1 x 100w 38 degree spotlight for warmth.

Attachments

• IMG00274-20120126-1854.jpg
    IMG00274-20120126-1854.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG00275-20120126-1854.jpg
    IMG00275-20120126-1854.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG00276-20120126-1855.jpg
    IMG00276-20120126-1855.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Hi ya

sounds to me like heatstroke

If you are honest.....the weather here in Melbourne over the past week has be incredibly hot......without slapping you around for your mstake.....in an enclosure in that heat.......outside.....with nowhere to escape.....no matter how many hides when the murcury climbs to 30 and above that is too hot for anything. and you are saying you didnt put any water out there..........and as you know melbourne has a very dry heat....you cannot possibly compare to being in the wild....in the wild an animal can go anywhere it likes to cool down....in an enclosure they are confined to the climate they get in the confined space...and in this instance clearly too hot.

Sorry but I think you have your answer really.

Sorry if I sound harsh as you must be really devestated to lose your pet but truely withthe heat we have had here in melbourne it is the most obvious explanation. I even have my ornamental cactus covered with shade cloth because the sun at the moment is so hot they are getting burned.

Last edited:
Hi ya

sounds to me like heatstroke

If you are honest.....the weather here in Melbourne over the past week has be incredibly hot......without slapping you around for your mstake.....in an enclosure in that heat.......outside.....with nowhere to escape.....no matter how many hides when the murcury climbs to 30 and above that is too hot for anything. and you are saying you didnt put any water out there..........and as you know melbourne has a very dry heat....you cannot possibly compare to being in the wild....in the wild an animal can go anywhere it likes to cool down....in an enclosure they are confined to the climate they get in the confined space...and in this instance clearly too hot.

Sorry but I think you have your answer really.

Sorry if I sound harsh as you must be really devestated to lose your pet but truely withthe heat we have had here in melbourne it is the most obvious explanation. I even have my ornamental cactus covered with shade cloth because the sun at the moment is so hot they are getting burned.

Nah mate no offence taken at all. I posted accurately and honestly and have been on forums for a long time as a poster and moderator so no there are no airs and graces. I wanted an honest reply and I got one. As an owner I take full responsibility and I guess there have been worse days he has been out there with water and shade and been ok.

Nothing will change what's happened. I have grieved now time to move on.

Thanks once again for the educated advice.

Slap well and truly accepted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back