Bearded Dragon Tank

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Turns out, sand was a 100% bad choice and my Bearded Dragon died of impaction today.. :'( Very upsetting and I have learned from my mistake. I watched it all happen :(

I am now not going to use sand ever again, and switch to newspaper and fake grass from now on.

- - - Updated - - -

Turns out, sand was a 100% bad choice and my Bearded Dragon died of impaction today.. :'( Very upsetting and I have learned from my mistake. I watched it all happen :(

I am now not going to use sand ever again, and switch to newspaper and fake grass from now on.

I wouldnt be blaming the sand for all the blame. I have used sand with small and large beardies with no issues, its just messy. With a hotspot set at 38-44c (no thermostat) my guys all managed to process any sand they may have swallowed, and sometimes they would sit there are take a few good licks.

Sorry to hear mate. Did you take the body to the vet to get a necropsy done or you are just assuming it was the sand?

Rick

- - - Updated - - -

Are you sure it was impaction? I only ask because it is very unusual for a beardie to die from impaction caused by sand. Don't write off sand as a substrate; me personally, I switch to sand from fake grass when they are about 12 months old.

- - - Updated - - -

My slow typing! You beat me Rick.

I am only assuming sand because when I found it watched it have a fit then lay there still, there was a lot of sand in its mouth. I cleared it out, had luke warm water mixed with a teaspoon of sugar to try and give it a sugar rush to give it a little kick (breeders idea) and also CPR, lol, but it didn't work :( Didn't take it too the vet for a necropsy. Didn't think actually, already burried :(

Yes, sorry to hear how your dragon died. It's an awful feeling to watch your reptile die, knowing you're useless to help. Our bredli did the same, started thrashing around its enclosure, and suddenly dropped down, dead. In our case, it was an undiagnosed tumour.

I don't use it at all. Only with certain species of Gecko

I have never had a problem with sand all (9 beardies so far) have been on sand since purchase,as long as proper husbandry (cleanliness) is maintained there should be no problem in this regard.View attachment 304799
Tyler asked for a pic of my pygmy motel and here it is.
sorry here it isn't
dammit I don't know what's wrong with this site but it is always a problem uploading pics here

Last edited:
I would imagine the only problem with sand when used for juveniles is with the way, or location, they are fed. Juveniles can be eager, and clumsy when eating, and if you are letting crickets/woodies in there to run around, a beardie can accidentally take in a mouthful of substrate with the insect. My way of dealing with this was put insects in a container and refrigerate them for 15-20 minutes. This stops them from moving for around 5 minutes, enough time for them to be eaten.

Sorry to hear about your loss, hopefully this doesn't deter you from being a reptile owner, and that you can learn from mistakes (if indeed a mistake was made)

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

I have definitely learned from my mistake! I think I am just going to play it safe and use newspaper until it is older.

- - - Updated - - -

Dragonlover1. Looks good mate, how have you put the divider in though?

the lower tank is 1 I bought and modified slightly with a piece of ply jammed in tight,the top 1 I built from scratch and designed vertical strips with a piece of ply.It's hard to see them in the pic it's behind the centre support and the ply has a u shaped dip to go around the UV tube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back