Bearded Dragon's back leg is limp/floppy.. Please help?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kaddy1

Reaction score
Hi there,
I own 2 central bearded dragons - Penny & Sheldon. They are classroom pets and I have them at home during the school holidays. They are 6 months old this month.

Normally, they live in a glass fish tank (approx 2ft) with a 100w ceramic heat lamp and UV light on the lid. The temperature is controlled with an Australian Reptiles Thermostat and is set for 30 degrees. Today, I've moved Penny & Sheldon to their new home for the holidays - a 3ft melamine enclosure with 2 ceramic heat lamps controlled by a thermostat (30 degrees) and a tube UV light. The enclosure has sand substrate (I've read differing opinions on this but keep in mind they are just in this tank whilst at my house on holidays). So far, they have loved exploring the new enclosure!

The reason I need your help though is because today I noticed that Sheldon's back left leg is limp and he is dragging it when he walks. Last night I let them both out of their cage to explore and run around (which they loved!) I kept a constant eye on them both and he didn't seem to be having this problem last night.

I have just tried touching the leg and when I did this previously, it just kind of flopped down again. When I just tried this though, Sheldon seemed to be pulling his leg away from me - like I was hurting him?

He is eating fine (in fact, I was actually worried about him eating all of Penny's food) and seems to be quite happy otherwise.

What do you think? Let me know if I can provide any more information!

Also, they both have a vet appointment in 2 days so I will be getting the vet to check it out too but since this has suddenly appeared, perhaps it will suddenly disappear as quickly?

I'm not sure about the leg, a vet visit sounds like a good idea, but in terms of their general husbandry 30 degrees is a shade on the cool side. Their basking spot wants to be up around 35. Also, a 2 foot tank is likely to be starting to get too small for two six-month-olds, and certainly will be soon! (Aside from the issue of keeping them together at all.)

6-8 months is when puberty hits, the most likely scenario is that they fought and he was injured.
(it might be 2 boys in which case expect a blood bath very soon)

legs and tails are the general targets when they fight, they can either break each others limbs this way or bite them right off if they go too hard.

dragons shouldnt be housed together, they are much happier and safer alone.

Thanks for your advice! Have turned up the thermostat (the marks only went up to 30 but I found I could twist it past the end!) Basking spot is now a lovely 35 degrees.
Penny & Sheldon have been together since hatching - they are brother and sister. If there was any signs of aggression or domination, I would separate them immediately.

Thanks Chris. I'd be more worried about Sheldon attacking Penny as he is much bigger than her and would cause more damage?

Penny & Sheldon have been together since hatching - they are brother and sister. If there was any signs of aggression or domination, I would separate them immediately.

Be on the lookout for it, especially now that they're getting older and bigger. Even if you don't see any overt aggression, as Chris1 said it's not a great idea - one dragon usually ends up dominant, constantly stressing out the other one. If it's two males there's especially likely to be fighting; if it's a male and a female, once they're of breeding age the female can get very stressed by the male's constant advances.

I will definitely keep an eye on it, thanks!
After gently touching Sheldon's leg between my thumb and forefinger, I've found that he is most sore (he flinches & jumps away from me) when I touch his 'thigh'. So would this mean that it's not a bone problem and more of a muscle problem?

I have turned the temp way up now, thanks :)
Being housed together is working for them at the moment so I'll continue to be cautious and keep my eye on them, thanks.

I will definitely keep an eye on it, thanks!
After gently touching Sheldon's leg between my thumb and forefinger, I've found that he is most sore (he flinches & jumps away from me) when I touch his 'thigh'. So would this mean that it's not a bone problem and more of a muscle problem?

Not necessarily. Try not to touch his leg anymore, you may accidently make the injury worse.
Animals do their best to hide sickness and injury so if he is not using his leg then there is definately something going on.
Remember that his bones are tiny. Too much pressure from your fingers and you may exacerbate a fracture (if there is one there). Plus I wouldnt be too thrilled if someone was pressing on my broken/sprained limb!

Last edited:
There is a limit to the help people will offer you if you insist on ignoring basic advice such as DO NOT HOUSE THEM TOGETHER.

Not necessarily. Try not to touch his leg anymore, you may accidently make the injury worse.
Animals do their best to hide sickness and injury so if he is not using his leg then there is definately something going on.
Remember that his bones are tiny. Too much pressure from your fingers and you may exacerbate a fracture (if there is one there). Plus I wouldnt be too thrilled if someone was pressing on my broken/sprained limb!

Thanks for your help. This is very true. Hopefully it will clear itself up and not be too serious. Otherwise the vet should be able to help in a couple of days. I will take Sheldon to the vet tomorrow if it isn't looking any better.

I had that problem where the larger sister bit the smaller ones leg was like that for a month or so but the smaller one always acted like she was the boss I guess big sis just had enough. I seperated them for the next 12 months let them play together daily before trying together over might again, now they sleep together in a ball.
Just keep am eye on them seperate them while there injured.

I had that problem where the larger sister bit the smaller ones leg was like that for a month or so but the smaller one always acted like she was the boss I guess big sis just had enough. I seperated them for the next 12 months let them play together daily before trying together over might again, now they sleep together in a ball.
Just keep am eye on them seperate them while there injured.

Thank you so much for your advice Damien! Really appreciate your help.

You cannot house two beardies together in a fish tank that is 2 foot long, a fish tank full stop in Victoria is not a good idea. You mentioned in another post the breeder has sexed them as a boy and girl, another good reason not to house them together and if the breeder is wrong, which is possible at 6 months, they could be 2 boys, again, not a good idea. Then there is the permit issue, do you have a demonstrators permit or does the school have a permit to keep the lizards there and if so do you have a permit to take them home. If you have a 3 foot melamine enclosure why are they being subjected to a 2 foot fish tank at school? Sorry to sound negative but it is fairly obvious there are already dominance issues happening and placing them in an even smaller space is only going to make things worse. I work in a reptile shop and I was quite dismayed to see a little dragon I sold some people. with total assurance they knew what they were doing, come in with a leg so badly injured I thought he'd lose it for sure. He was also totally depressed and had stopped eating. They swore there was no dominance going on. he was in such a bad way that I thought he was going to die. Luckily, they heeded my advice and separated them. he is now happy and eating and his leg is looking like making a full recovery. Beardies are solitary creatures, housing them together can work sometimes, but not in the kind of conditions you are describing.

Now I feel this is a setup. If you are a school teacher and asking for advise you would accept what people more experienced than yourself have to offer. If you think that the people on here are beneath you p#s# off and dont post again. I cant accept that a state school would have organised a vet check for a reptile outside of a school term without it showing any sign of a medical problem. If your aftrer a rant you got it and I advise any other member of the site to refrain from commenting on this post.

Hi there,
I own 2 central bearded dragons - Penny & Sheldon. They are classroom pets and I have them at home during the school holidays. They are 6 months old this month.

Normally, they live in a glass fish tank (approx 2ft) with a 100w ceramic heat lamp and UV light on the lid. The temperature is controlled with an Australian Reptiles Thermostat and is set for 30 degrees. Today, I've moved Penny & Sheldon to their new home for the holidays - a 3ft melamine enclosure with 2 ceramic heat lamps controlled by a thermostat (30 degrees) and a tube UV light. The enclosure has sand substrate (I've read differing opinions on this but keep in mind they are just in this tank whilst at my house on holidays). So far, they have loved exploring the new enclosure!

The reason I need your help though is because today I noticed that Sheldon's back left leg is limp and he is dragging it when he walks. Last night I let them both out of their cage to explore and run around (which they loved!) I kept a constant eye on them both and he didn't seem to be having this problem last night.

I have just tried touching the leg and when I did this previously, it just kind of flopped down again. When I just tried this though, Sheldon seemed to be pulling his leg away from me - like I was hurting him?

He is eating fine (in fact, I was actually worried about him eating all of Penny's food) and seems to be quite happy otherwise.

What do you think? Let me know if I can provide any more information!

Also, they both have a vet appointment in 2 days so I will be getting the vet to check it out too but since this has suddenly appeared, perhaps it will suddenly disappear as quickly?

Did anyone notice the highlighted area?
What "lid" is the light on, it may be affecting the amount of UV getting to the lizards

Just to clear a few things up;
Yes, I do have a licence from the DSE to keep them as classroom pets with permission to keep them at my place of residence over the holidays.
they are no longer in the smaller fish tank! They are in a 3ft enclosure. At school they have a 4ft set up waiting for them.
I have not been ignoring advice to separate them - when Damien offered his advice, I took it because of the way it was offered. They are now separated.
The school did not organise the vet check - nor are they paying for it. That is something I have decided to do by myself.

You are providing them with UVB, and not just a UV fish light? Im not having a go, i made a similar mistake with ours before. Also, if the UV is going through glass, the animal will not be recieving the required amount...
Just something to think about ^_^

Kayte Xo

Please post a picture of both the male and female. And who ever has the hurt leg please post a close up of the leg. I can tell you what's going on if I see pictures. We breed our bearded dragons at my shop here in the US and seen many problems. Don't be so quick to seperate either. Just because they are getting older does not mean they need to be seperated, just a larger cage (with the exception for 2 males in which you do want to seperate)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

You are providing them with UVB, and not just a UV fish light? Im not having a go, i made a similar mistake with ours before. Also, if the UV is going through glass, the animal will not be recieving the required amount...
Just something to think about ^_^

Kayte Xo

Hi Kayte,
Yes, a UVB light. Only purchased yesterday so it won't be a case of the UV running out. I think the brand was ReptaPet? I will post pictures in a moment when I jump on the computer. Thanks Kayte and Ted! :)

OK, so here are some pictures to help you Ted.

#1 - their enclosure (sorry for the bad pic, taken on my iphone and apparently the UV light affects the picture quality)
#2 - Sheldon (male)
#3 - Sheldon's legs. His left (also left in photo) is the affected one. When compared to the other leg, it looks fatter to me.
#4 - Another photo of Sheldon's fat thigh. That's the affected area I believe.
#5 - Penny (female) She is much smaller than Sheldon but certainly not less active.

What do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_0595[1].jpg
    IMG_0595[1].jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0596[1].jpg
    IMG_0596[1].jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0597[1].jpg
    IMG_0597[1].jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0598[1].jpg