Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptilegirl

Reaction score
G'day all :D

Just wanting to know a few things about.......
Black soil bearded dragons - pogona henrylawsoni
Western bearded dragons - pogona minima
Dwarf bearded dragon - pogona minor
North-west bearded dragon - pogona mitchelli

things like...
Are they readily available or hard to come by??
On average how much would a hatchling cost?? How about an adult??
Do they need anything special/different compared to central bearded dragons?? e.g housing, food, heat
Are they easy to breed??
do they usually like being handled??
And last but not least... What is your over all opinion on them??
Cheers
Megz

Black soil bearded dragons - pogona henrylawsoni and Dwarf bearded dragon - pogona minor, are the only ones that i have seen for sale i haven't seen the others at all, but these two due to their small size they are easier to house in terms of cheaper and smaller enclosure and i would assume that they probably would'nt eat as much. But i would have to say that the easterns are the best.

On our keeping list here is says that Western beardies are P. minor minor. Alot of sites refer to them as P. minima. Could someone here help me to what they really are? Reptilegirl there are lots of Western beardies for sale here in the shops. They cost around $150-$250. They're small dragons with a SVL of about 15cm and an overall length of about 30cm. I dont keep them so I dont know much about keeping them. I've seen lots in the wild and they're very interesting little dragons. westaussie or womas4me might be able to help you as i think they have them? Western beardies eat crickets and woodies and some fruits and vegies too. sorry this is a little off topic although does anyone from WA know if CALM is planning to add any species to the keeping list?

thanks for the info guys... keep it comming... any pic's would be great too...
also i'd like to add another question... (jonathon gave me the idea)
What size do they get upto??
cheers
Megz

Also because the prices i gave were from WA shops if you wanted to buy them you would have to pay the export fee (I think its $180 for up to 5 animals or something like that... dont ask why because no one knows).

Hi Reptilegirl,
My partner and I breed pogona henrylawsoni, they are great little dragons,they are roughly around eight inches. they need heat all year around as they come from Central Qld. Two can live all their lives in a 2ft tank, we have a breeding colony in a four foot tank. 1 male and 5 females. We have a couple of males as they are from different bloodlines. We sell them for $75.00 each.

As Faysmith has said, henrylawsoni are great little guys. I also keep them and minor and mitchelli. Minor and mitchelli are a little smaller in build but similar lengths. They are a lot more like barbata in temperament (henrys are more like vitticeps). As babies, like barbata, they are finicky and a little hard to rear at times. The minor are less difficult to get now but as far as I am aware there are only a few populations of private mitchelli outside of WA.

cheers everyone :)
i just love beardies.. i hope to one day have a breeding pair (or more) of each of them. and i'm just wondering how much i'll need to save up for them... and what kind of enclosure, food, heat etc..
so dan how much would a mitchelli set me back??
also are there any good books/websites on any of the species i listed??
Cheers
Megz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back