Beardie Enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Horsy

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
So today I added some more things to my Beardie's enclosure and he just loves it. Been exploring everything. It's amazing that he can balance on the very end of leaves without falling off. He loves his little hammock aswell. It's a pity he'll grow out of the tank soon enough. What lizard would be able to live in this tank as is and make use of everything without growing out of it? I have a U.Milii Gecko but was told they don't climb...anyway here are some photos.

Picture575.jpg

Picture585.jpg

Picture593.jpg

Picture574.jpg

And this photo I had to include. He was sitting on my belly and I turned my portable dvd player on to watch X-files and he ran straight up to the screen and just watched it avidly for ages. Smart little cookie.

Picture559.jpg

So what do you guys think? :D

Thats not good for pygmy beardies lucas! I would say something like a leaf tailed gecko or spiny tailed gecko, maybe even an Asian house gecko, but definatly not a pygmy beardie!

cheers

Thanks guys :) He's happy so I'm happy. I go over the top sometimes but the more I add, the more fun he has.

thats great, well done nice looking setup! he should be happy in there for a while

I do love the look of Spiny Tailed Geckos. Might go for a pair of those when Robbie outgrows this enclosure.

Thanks TX :D He sleeps in the most awkward positions, my mum hates everything reptile but can't help and find him adorable

Replace your substrate with sand, make sure you keep him warm as glass tanks loose alot of heat, though in Brissie it might be ok.

he looks so kool watchimg the x-files,
i think the tank looks good, but i agree with jasonL i think you should change the substrate to sand.

SAND IS HORRIBLE FOR HATCHLINGS, along with ANY other loose substrate there digestive tract isnt straight enough like it would when there adult to deal with loose particles that dont break up and are easily digest like food.. loose substrate is horrible because they are very suceptible to impaction..

i strongely sugest you take out the substrate and replace it with paper towel or nespaper, better yet.. tile..

take te loose substrate out at least until he is a year old..

i have a couple of baby beardies. and i keep thier enclosure pretty simple. they are messy little buggers. crap everywere. i find newspaper is the quickest easiest thing to have. i only use newspaper or astro turf. never loose stuff. always a risk of them eating it.
make sure you give him enough heat too. :D

yeah i agree they are messy little fellas and the ease of changing a soiled square of paper towel is well worth the loss of a more natural looking enclosure

He's not very messy :D And It's not hard at all to clean out the tank. I just take out the branches and hides and then empty it, rinse it and put more of the substrate in. Much as you would do with newspaper. I have a massive bag of this stuff and it's really easy to maintain.

But, juvi's are also known for test tasteing and if he tastes to much it could give him a clog or problems digesting(basically the same thing). But good luck and he looks like a real cutie!

I agree, be super careful with baby beardies and loose substrate. They seem to taste "everything."
Newspaper or tiles or astro turf would be so much better for him. I keep my baby beardies on newspaper and astro turf, very easy to clean up.
Good luck with him, he's a little cutie.

Nice beardy and setup the substrate looks fine to me, just make sure there are no small rocks in it as these can cause trouble. As long as things are too big to be eaten or small enough to pass though it should be fine IMO I have used leaves as the substrate without any issues at all, just make sure you dont use poisionous leaves.

Putting anything with a baby beardy is a bit risky as they like to bite anything that moves including tails and feet of other lizards or a whole lizard if it will fit in its mouth.

When its bigger it is less likely to eat other lizards limbs and a number of species have been kept with them in large outdoor enclosures including water dragons, frill necks, ridge tail monitors, blue tounges and probably alot more. Just keep in mind lizards are part of a natural diet for most lizards and the idividuals you have may not get on well.

Best thing to do is wait untill it is old enough to be reliably sexed and buy him/her a mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back