Beardie help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cellini

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I've searched the forum and cant find an answer for this so..

My 7 month old bearded dragon has just been moved into his adult enclosure. For the past 3 or 4 days he wont eat anything. Also he's just sitting in the cold end of the tank. If I move him to the hot end he will sit there for a while but then he moves back. When I pick him up his body feels really cold. He is also in a foul mood (lol). He's usually ok to be picked up etc. but he's moving away from me and squirming if I pick him up.

Is this due to the time of year or from moving him? He's on repti carpet and his temps are around 33 hot and 23 cold.

Any info would be great :)

Sounds like he is sulking, though this generally occurs with Frillies and Rainforest Dragons more prominantly it can occur with Vitticeps as well.

I'd suggest moving him back into his previous enclosure and observe him a week or so, if he picks up then maybe consider keeping him in his tighter enclosure for a few more months before trying again in the larger one.

If he does not pick up or he declines further in anyway, then head off to your local reptile vet.

Cheers,

Yeah i agree with dixilizards, it happens with frogs when they get moved into a to big cage they stop eating, keep him in the smaller cage for now and if its glass then cover all the glass with cardboard or paper or a towel from the outside so that he feels safe. and as dixilizards said if hes still not eating in a week take him to a vet. The temps are all good and exellent choise putting him on reptile carpet. Also give him a bath he may be a little stressed and dehydrated. Good luck!

Same thing happened to me this time last year. Moved my bloke to a bigger tank with a hide and he stopped eating, went into his hide and shut down for over 3 months. They say that beardies should not be allowed to brumate until they are at least one year old however mine did so without suffering any ill effects. If you wish to prevent this from happening I would suggest you bump your temps up a bit. Cold end should be at least 28 degrees and basking spot should be around 41 degrees. Night time temp should not fall below 20 degrees. Sometimes they will brumate regardless what you do, so if he does don’t panic. If it looks like he is going to brumate give him a warm bath to help him empty his bowel and absorb some fluid before his big nap, also try giving him a few drops of water from an eye dropper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back