Beardie Question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reffy

Reaction score
Hi :),
I just got my first bearded Dragon he is an adult and i know everything about how his cage should be set up e.g. basking spots, night temp, day temp ect.

All I'm am having trouble finding is feeding i already know how much fruit and veg but i was wondering how many mealworms or crickets to feed him each day?

mealworms , use them as a treat only [ dont feed it every day mealworms].
crickets , how ever many it will eat . roaches are a better food source then crickets.

i have only giving him carrots, corn, pea's, broccoli and cauliflower hope the last two are OK?

yeah they are ok mate.
the best stuff is if you get green peas or green beans. Chop them up and sometimes add some carrot, squash and beardie pellots.
Feed as many crickets or woodies as your dragon will eat within 15 mins.

Those are good,Dandalions would add to it as you can feed them every day to give him his vitamins,make sure they havent got pesdiceide on them

Last edited:
so i can feed woodies, cricket or roaches daily (as many as he will take in 15 mins)
but only feed mealworms as treats?

Also what is the best way to feed them? e.g in difference cage, half crush them so they cant move much?

let your beardie hunt them. use it as an enrichment opportunity. my boy Yoda loves hunting his crickets down., because mine are half out of it when i get them (i put them in the freezer to slowdown so i can catch them.) once i've dusted them and they are a little more lively, i let them go in his enclosure.

Make sure you have calcium powder and dust the crickets/roaches to provide extra calcium.

this link has helped me with what to feed Yoda and it's amazing.
Nutrition Content you'll find out your beardies likes and dislikes pretty quick. Yoda loves green grapes but hates red ones go figure.

let your beardie hunt them. use it as an enrichment opportunity. my boy Yoda loves hunting his crickets down., because mine are half out of it when i get them (i put them in the freezer to slowdown so i can catch them.) once i've dusted them and they are a little more lively, i let them go in his enclosure.

Make sure you have calcium powder and dust the crickets/roaches to provide extra calcium.

this link has helped me with what to feed Yoda and it's amazing.
Nutrition Content you'll find out your beardies likes and dislikes pretty quick. Yoda loves green grapes but hates red ones go figure.

Wow thanks heaps :), i have lost about 6 crickets in the house hehe due to not being able to catch them :D

The reason mealworms are not appropriate on a regular basis is because of the chitin building up and causing impaction in your beardie.

I bought a bulk lot of 1000 small crickets to feed my 12 hatchies and my 3yr old daughter knocked over the tub holding them.
When you lose upwards of 300 crickets in 1 room then you have something to worry about...lol

I bought a bulk lot of 1000 small crickets to feed my 12 hatchies and my 3yr old daughter knocked over the tub holding them.
When you lose upwards of 300 crickets in 1 room then you have something to worry about...lol

haha stuff that 6 is bad enough :p, also i read on the internet mealworms can you your beardie inside out if they haven't gotten enough heat is this true????

Vacuum Time!! *to the tune of MC Hammer's "Ice Ice Baby"*

Hi, everyone just thought i'd upload some pic's for beardie (yes his name is so original hehe :p)
He has settled in well and is a little guts and the enclosure we built for him :) hope you enjoy
beadie 003.jpgbeardie 003.jpgbeardie 002.jpgbeardie 005.jpgbeardie 004.jpg
beardie%20005.JPG
beardie%20004.JPG
beardie%20003.JPG
beardie%20002.JPG

:) Ooo hes a big boy. Um... you need to have your UV source and heat source closer. They will be useless otherwise :) and his colour suggests that also... when they get dark it normally means they are cold. Their UV needs to be within 30cm of their basking spot. I guess put some bigger logs in there to get it higher. And he needs somewhere to hide... even if its not a full on hide, a plastic plant to hide behind will be suitable. I dont put an actual hide in with my guy because he becomes inactive... but I have a plastic plant that will half shelter him if he feels the need to hide. Nice cage though :D

I have a plastic tub that I feed my guy his crickets in... that way they cant get lost in the enclosure.

Yeah thanks for that, I have to get more branches but it's been pouring with rain up here (Darwin) so he's been running around on two logs (poor fella). I've moved his UV light down for that reason since I posted it cause the only bulb I could get (after the other one broke) was a 150watt, so I thought 30cm might be a bit too close but his basking spot still isn't heating up to the right temps. I'll keep trying until I get it right cause I don't wanna cook him, but I suppose the aircon is helping so maybe 30cm it is :p.

I guess being a central beardie he should be ok?

hey i was just wondering if about 12 variety of insects (crickets, woodies) is enough for a 18 month old bearded plus veg&fruit in a day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back