Beardie Question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
do you have a uvb/uva bulb from the pet store or are you using a uv bulb from the supermarket? The UV doesnt give off heat but it is essential to the absorption of vitamins essential for his health. If he does not get enough uva and uvb he will get metabolic bone disease. The uva and uvb are only present in adequate amounts within 30cms so has nothing to do with heat :) the heat however is essential for his digestion, as reptiles do not regulate their own body temperature they need an outside source. the heat is provided by a spot light/ceramic heat light. If you dont have adequate lighting plus calcium supplement you wont have a healthy beardie :)

Supermarket lights do not have the right uv.

should probably be eating alot more then 12

If he does not get enough uva and uvb he will get metabolic bone disease.

not true, i know of keepers keeping and breeding dragons without uv of any sort, i have done it with no issues. More important is the vitamins. Not saying dont use UV just saying thats without it its not all doom and gloom

do you have a uvb/uva bulb from the pet store or are you using a uv bulb from the supermarket? The UV doesnt give off heat but it is essential to the absorption of vitamins essential for his health. If he does not get enough uva and uvb he will get metabolic bone disease. The uva and uvb are only present in adequate amounts within 30cms so has nothing to do with heat :) the heat however is essential for his digestion, as reptiles do not regulate their own body temperature they need an outside source. the heat is provided by a spot light/ceramic heat light. If you dont have adequate lighting plus calcium supplement you wont have a healthy beardie :)

Supermarket lights do not have the right uv.

Hi,
We have a UVA light from exoterra and it is 150 watt Sun Glo but temps are watched and never go over, his light has been lowered to 30cm off his basking log, we also dust his insects with vitamin dust which include calcium. Is the light bulb an ok one to use?
Is that all good

should probably be eating alot more then 12
I feed them that a day but am unsure now due to reading on the internet you should only feed an adult an average of 50 bugs a week plus veg&fruit every day is this true or not?
Sorry to bug i just want to make sure his is happy and will be healthy.

I feed them that a day but am unsure now due to reading on the internet you should only feed an adult an average of 50 bugs a week plus veg&fruit every day is this true or not?
Sorry to bug i just want to make sure his is happy and will be healthy.

a large beardie (yours looks to be of decent size from the pics) can easily dispatch 20-30 large crix a day no worries, they are very greedy animals. It all depends on the amount of veggies though, i always prefer to feed more bugs then veggies but if you offer more veggies they wont need so many bugs

Im guessing you feed a supplement with vit d in it as well? The supplement I use doesnt have vit d.

Im guessing you feed a supplement with vit d in it as well? The supplement I use doesnt have vit d.

The Vitamin we use is Repti-vite which as Vitamin D3 which i'm pretty sure is the right one, also includes Calcium and lots other :D

Hi,
We have a UVA light from exoterra and it is 150 watt Sun Glo but temps are watched and never go over, his light has been lowered to 30cm off his basking log, we also dust his insects with vitamin dust which include calcium. Is the light bulb an ok one to use?
Is that all good
Get rid of the UVA and get UVB!!!!!! the repti glo 10.0 is perfect. is ur UV light tube or compact?? Compact globes can cause Photo Kerato-conjunctivitis (welding flare in humans) it's not fatal or permanent but their have been cases that have died because it wasn't picked up.

Get rid of the UVA and get UVB!!!!!! the repti glo 10.0 is perfect. is ur UV light tube or compact?? Compact globes can cause Photo Kerato-conjunctivitis (welding flare in humans) it's not fatal or permanent but their have been cases that have died because it wasn't picked up.

Hi,

It is not a compact globe and we have to settle with the one we have till we get one shipped up to Darwin... we don't have much to choose from up here but i was just on exo-terra website and wouldn't the Solar Glo be better cause it has everything? here is the table i am talking about
table_lighting.jpg

Hi i would reckomend feeding him 10 to 15 crickets if he is a adult they mainly need more veggies and fruits then crickets
keep up the good work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back