Beardies and Bredli's

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whytwolf

Reaction score
Hi All

New to the forum as of yesterday :D My boys ages 13 and 16 will be getting beardies and a bredli as belated Xmas prezzies. They've just moved here from the states to live with us. If any of you have any advice on either the beardies or the bredli's we'd be happy to hear of it. My 13 year old had a 1.5 mtr ball python in the states so he is familiar with the care of snakes in general. But we realize that carpets have a few requirements which are different.

His main question on the bredli is UV light or No UV light? Any suggestions on that would be great. At the moment the tank we've got for his snake (which is turning up next week) came equipped with a 7% UV light. Is this appropriate for a bredli or should it be weaker or stronger?

Beardies for my 16 year old are a new adventure in herps :lol: So any and all suggestions will be welcomed. What strength of UV lamp to use for them - also what are the heat requirements. I noticed in one of the pics I was looking at that the substrate used looked a bit like the paper kitty litter we used to use. What's the best substrate to use for hatchies? Also general heat temps would be good to know.

We've been doing heaps of research on the net, but every website we go to has something different to say and we certainly want to look after our new best friends the best we can.

So again, thanks all for your help and advice. You can either pm me or send us an email. :D

Thanks again

whytwolf

RE: Beardies and Bredli

In regards to lighting for beardies, have a look here. http://www.users.bigpond.com/snake.man/Lizards/lizard_lighting.htm#Product
I use the repti-sun uvb 5.0. I havent bothered with substrate for my hatchies yet, just clean the tank every day or second day. alot of people on here like a cat litter called breeders choice. I will move prob to that when they a little larger too. heating, mine like a basking temp of about 36 degrees.

I am by no means an expert though :)

As for bredls, I get my first one some time next week so Id be interested to hear peoples views too..

welcome to the site anyway.. you'll learn heaps on here. god knows I have.

If you haven't already got some I have some Beardy hatchlings for sale and I'm only 5 minutes from you. You're welcome to come round and have a look if you like.

Cheers, Greg.

Thanks heaps Gerry :D

Thanks for the great welcome as well.
This has been the best forum site I've found. Everyone is very friendly and helpful.
My son will be keen to have a read of the website you posted (he's been researching on beardies for over a week now and has printed out more than a ream of paper :lol:

Thanks again

whytwolf

Hi Greg

I saw your beardies for sale in the "for sale" section of the forum. What colours will they be when they get older? Jared is really keen to have the strong yellows and/or reds. That's probably the only thing that stopped me from ringing you yesterday :D

I wasn't sure of what their colouring would be. He's quite adamant that they have strong colouring when they get older....

yeah I got mine from Greg. lovely animals.

Greg, I tried to PM you but realised then your PM isnt working. Could you tell me how old the ones I got from you at chrissy were at the time. just trying to out an age on em now.

Your's were hatched about the 24th-25th November Gerry.

Whytwolf, my hatchies are from a yellow Mother and a light Father.
Probably not as strong as he'd be used to seeing in the U.S. They have freakish colours over there.

Cheers, Greg.

Greg, in case you pm still isnt' working, you can get ahold of me on 0425 303 669
If it'sconvenient for me and the boys to come around later this arvo and have a squiz at your bobbins. (or you can pm or email us) Can't guarantee that Jared will buy one, but I think actually see them is better than looking at a pic :D

Cheers

whytwolf

About keeping beardies - i keep mine on grass carpet stuff it comes in green or brown colour. The uv light i use is repti-sun uvb 2.0 and the heat lights i use are red reflector globes, both the lights you can buy at a local pet shop that sells reptile products.

Cheers,
Zac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back