beareded dragon substrate

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazycow232

Reaction score
I am thinking of getting a beardie, aand ive done alot of reserch on them. Ive read alot about how sand is a bad substrate, but good at the same time. Also shelf liner is good and repti carpet. i was wondering if beach towels would walk if i cut them to size. wash them every week?

You can use sand, you will just have to feed in a separate enclosure. I would use news paper or paper towels. No major reasons why you shouldn't use a beach towel as substrate jump out at me, still I'd stick with the tried and true substrates. Hope that helps and good luck with the beardie.

Howdy CC. Personally I wouldn't recommend beach towels just due to how much I have seen my Beardy dig around in his substrate and I would hate to see him get his nails caught. Others may have had different experiences but after seeing my one dig, I would stay away from any fabrics.

My one is currently on a mixture of Sand and Bark Chips which he enjoys mixing together to make an awesome mess of things but m next move would be to have him on only Bark Chips at around 3 to 4cm deep so he can dig to his hearts content while keeping it easy to clean. In saying that, I have seen a few Beardys on just sand before so it would be interesting to see what the others say

i think i will just keep washed playing sand in there and take him out to feed him. Thanks alot :)

lol spelt bearded wrong :/

I used to use back-2-nature/breeders choice paper pellet style bedding over newspaper but now am using something called Bradley's pet base, it's made of coarse ground olive stones looks ok but not as absorbent as the pellets and not as good with odor control

I used to use back-2-nature/breeders choice paper pellet style bedding over newspaper but now am using something called Bradley's pet base, it's made of coarse ground olive stones looks ok but not as absorbent as the pellets and not as good with odor control
The best way to solve Oder issues is more frequent cleanings.

Half sand half tile substrate... sands satisfies the BDs instincts to dig and generally burrow, carry on and make a mess. The tile means your only cleaning half the enclosure and if you put them on the hot side it acts like heat rocks which retain heat. Feed the veg on the tiles to to minimise contamination from the sand.

I clean droppings as soon as I see them but notice on the olive stone substrate if they go in the mornings after I leave for work it smells a lot more than it does on the paper pellets when I get home.

I clean droppings as soon as I see them but notice on the olive stone substrate if they go in the mornings after I leave for work it smells a lot more than it does on the paper pellets when I get home.
Ahh gotca. I haven't used pellets or any thing like that so I dident realize it would soak in like that.

Half sand half tile substrate... sands satisfies the BDs instincts to dig and generally burrow, carry on and make a mess. The tile means your only cleaning half the enclosure and if you put them on the hot side it acts like heat rocks which retain heat. Feed the veg on the tiles to to minimise contamination from the sand.
that soudns good. might consider it :)
im guessing that u use the tile to feed your dragon

+1 :)

I use fake grass, you can purchase it at your local bunnings. You can buy it to the square metre and use a stanley knife to cut to shape. This prevents the danger of ingesting substrate!

I use fake grass, you can purchase it at your local bunnings. You can buy it to the square metre and use a stanley knife to cut to shape. This prevents the danger of ingesting substrate!

IS it easy to clean and all that? i was thinking of doing sand/tile. I have so many options and its making it really confusing.

With fake turf, I find it's easier to have two pieces for the enclosure - one and a spare so that come cleaning time, you can just hose it off and allow it plenty of time to dry, just chuck the spare one into the enclosure instead.

this is one of the reasons why sand is the superior substrate apart from the obvious fact that it's their natural substrate.
A poo is easily spotted and just as easily cleaned up with a mini pooper-scooper.A scoop of sand and all gone,bingo.Smell as well as mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back