Beautiful shinglebacks!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL!! I was told to feed them cat food (as well as fruit and veg) whilst they were hatchlings, and then taper them down to mainly fruit and veg as they mature.

Would be interested to hear what others feed their hatchlings and adults. These fellas are about three ish months old now at a guess.

:0)

90% of an adults diet..
In the wild young animals are more capable (quicker, can get into smaller spaces where insects are etc) of obtaining food that has more protein..which they will most certainly choose over boring salad.

Vegies only take up around 30-40% of my juvies diet and I've never had problems.
I do prefer to keep them on the lean side though.

Do you think I'm feeding them too much? They get fed every other day, about 50/50 veg to meat.

hmm lizars never really did it for me, apart from the gekos , jacky dragons and water dragons more of a snake man my self

Depends how much you're actually feeding them..Every other day is fine if it's a small amount (1-2 teaspoons).

Ooooo...maybe I am then, I let them eat as much as they want at mealtimes. They are pretty big now, so 2-1 teaspoons would only be a mouthful LOL!!

Can you advise a better feeding regime. I don't want them to end up with health problems due to overfeeding (well, any health problems actually!)

To finish, here's a pic of one little sleepy head cuddled up in his doona.

cc14f764.jpg

Being a desert lizard they will eat whatever they can. I remember that if I gave our guy a full bowl of water he would down the lot. Give him another one straight away and the same again. They never know when they will eat next so they will take whatever they can (sounds like children with hot dogs).

as I said Saz, I kept them long before current practices were known. You will obviously get the right advice in Dpeica's pm but others may also read this thread. Keep your lizards lean folks (and your dogs, birds, ducks wives selves etc)

I absoluty love the red stumpies thanks for the pics

LOL!!! I have to admit mine don't do that, when they are full they stop eating and drinking and go and curl up in a pile in the corner and wait to be taken back to their enclosure, and they don't consume amounts that are at all stupifying in one sitting, although more than a teaspoon full for sure.

Whether this is because they regularly get food and are now conditioned to that 'lifestyle' I don't know. Reptiles obviously work on instinct, so not sure how much conditioning works on them. Mind you, if it can work on goldfish (comes to the front of the tank for food when humans appear!), you'd think it'd work on reptiles, hehehe!!

I bought these animals from Dpeica, so I will follow whatever advice he gives. If he can get his adults breeding then he is obviously doing something right!!

I didn't know they'd eat and eat and eat!!

My daughter adores the WA ones- she wanted us to keep one we helped to cross the road without gettin squished! Had to explain that we couldn't keep it.

I'd love to get her some...I have enclosures here already for them....When I have some extra dough I'll sling it your way WestAussie- although we might not be here for long- I'd love to take some of our gorgeous WA species with us- we love this state- just not the reptile laws LOL!

westaussie said:
Hey Noxious.
when I supply this colour form they are aways available to W.A buyers. But it seems W.A folk dont appreciate them as much.
Any W.A buyers interested in that colour form please feel free to contact me. I am only too happy to support W.A herp keepers.

I'm more then interested in this colour phase. When you have youngsters I will be more then happy to purchase a few off you. I'm always looking to diversify lines and meet new WA herpers. We get stooged alot, so it's good that we help each other out.

No worries Noxious. The next lot of young red & blacks will be ready around Xmas time.
Ant lady and Noxious feel free to contact me and book some. These animals are usually pre-sold and are are rarely advertised.

You are right about W.A keepers being stooged. Difficult laws & profit focused petshops, with very little experience, do not make things easy. But if you do your homework and talk to the right people you will find that sometimes you can find some stunning W.A animals that are not made available to eastern states buyers.

Here is some of the local, coastal form, captive bred bobies that I have available at the moment.

How much are these babies westaussie? They are really beautiful!!

the local coastal form are $100 each. but there is a govt export fee of $200 per consignment.

The red & blacks are $350 each plus export fees. I have seen this form sell for up to $750 each.

For any W.A customers I will do red & blacks for $250 each. :wink:

Bugger. I keep forgetting about the export fee. Do you think you'll have some available when the red & blacks are ready to be shipped? I really like the grey legs and banding, they are also a totally different shape and colour to my babies, longer tail and more elongated head.

Does it count if you spent 25 years living in Perth and used to move Bobtails off the road?
;) Only jokes, I would not even consider keeping them up here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back