Best Elapids to start with

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hamalicious

Reaction score
G'day, the addiction is getting worse and I'm really keen to start thinking about Elapids. What do the more experienced herpers have to say about starting with Elapids? Best snakes to start with? Advice on buying snakes? Advice on enclosures? I wouldn't mind checking out a few other people's Elapid enclosures particularly for RBBS, which is what I'm leaning towards as my first Elapid. I live in Queensland, that will no doubt affect what I can and cannot do. Cheers

I'm by no means an overly experienced herper, but own a 7 month old RBB. From what I have read on this forum and taking to other ven keepers RBB's are one of the best first elapid to keep.

As for mine, to date I have had no issues and have never felt threatened when cleaning his enclosure, handling and removing retained shed on its tail.

^ I have met a few owners that do not "handle" their elapids as such. I presume the joy of owning them is more for their movement and awareness and absolute deadly beauty :p
Personally I would not handle an Elapid (mildly venomous or higher) as its not worth the risk.

hey, i have always wanted to know do you guys handle your elapids or not and if so do you do it with a hook?

To be honest I tried using a hook when i first received him, but found it to difficult because of his size.

So to answer your question, yes I free handle.

i've heard adders are nice and easy, and always thought so myself. a cage with a top opening on it would work a treat jsut make sure you keep your distance :) and you can use a hook to pick them up, place them in a tub while cage cleaning.

Rbb's are good to start with. They usually are pretty forgiving. But be aware there are some absolute nutjobs out there. I have a 8mnth hatchie at the moment that is an absolute psycho. ***** around in the air, bites at rocks etc, etc, but his brothers and sisters are like worms. They're all different. Some are cruzy, some aren't. Adult rbbs i find to be a dream to handle. My enclosures are half butchers paper, half aspen shavings. Hatchies love to hide in it. As for free handling, like chris said, hooks with the smaller stuff is awkward.

Rbb's are good to start with. They usually are pretty forgiving. But be aware there are some absolute nutjobs out there. I have a 8mnth hatchie at the moment that is an absolute psycho. ***** around in the air, bites at rocks etc, etc, but his brothers and sisters are like worms. They're all different. Some are cruzy, some aren't. Adult rbbs i find to be a dream to handle. My enclosures are half butchers paper, half aspen shavings. Hatchies love to hide in it. As for free handling, like chris said, hooks with the smaller stuff is awkward.

Do you breed RBBS? What state are you in if you don't mind me asking?

I'm in Melbourne, which is in Vic;D. I breed sometimes. I don't freight.

- - - Updated - - -

^ I have met a few owners that do not "handle" their elapids as such. I presume the joy of owning them is more for their movement and awareness and absolute deadly beauty :p
Personally I would not handle an Elapid (mildly venomous or higher) as its not worth the risk.

This is in no way encouraging people to go out and handle a ven. snake, but some elapids I've held are a lot calmer than any python or colubrid, or even lizard for that matter.

Alright bigger, I'm in Qld but I understand you not freighting, I don't deal via freight either. Unfortunately some people who aren't trust worthy ruin it for everyone else

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back