Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedEyeGirl

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
In a year we are moving.(well that is the plan) and mum would like to start my collection with a few geckos. Could some one reccomend A good starter gecko and if possible a breeder in Sydney???

Then how is it keeping them.
Tank size
Food
and substrate
And any other answers i need to know.
Thank you Guys!:p
Cheers
Tara:p:p:p:rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D:D

Hey Tara! lol

I think that N. Levis Levis is a great gecko! (smooth knob tail gecko)

Tank size - I keep 2 in a 2ft by 1ft tank and are doing really well

Food - Crickets, woodies ect...

Substrate - Red desert sand

Keep one side moist so they can dig borrows. Have a heat mat on one half of the tank. Don't put any heavy objects inside the enclosure as they may dig under it (this includes water bowl). Spray the moist side every few days. Spray the geckoes as well - I have found that some geckoes prefer to lick the water droplets off their head, others like to lick it of the side of the enclosures walls, hides ect

This should keep them happy :)

Rosabella

thick tails? marbled southern gecko's???

i have marbles, easy as to keep, lol

Hey Tara,
For my first gecko i got a pair of Thick Tailed Geckos!
They are a great gecko, and absolutaly love em to bits :) sooo cute when they hunt down their food.
Tank Size: I keep mine in a 45cmx45xcmx45cm but you can fit a pair in a 2ft long x 1ft wide x 1ft tall tank easily.

Food: Hatchlings should be eating pin heads whilst adults medium sized crickets.

Substrate: I think the URS Red Desert Sand is a great substrate as it hardens, and makes great ways to build burrows !

On the warm side, i keep the temperature around the 28 deg. area, then the cool side room temparature, feed them every couple of days, and also spray them everycouple of days, try to spray down the sides of the tank as they will drink the droplets, mine are currently breeding with 2 eggs already in the incubator, these geckos are a hardy species, and a great first gecko!I may even be selling a pair of unsexed hatchlings when they hatch at around $140 ea(they cost $150-$180 over in WA) So if you need any more help with geckos just give me a PM and i'd be happy to help :D
Thanks,
Chris

easily under a 2 footer.(marbles that is) my marbles are in a 40cm by 20cm by 30 cm. (they arent adult size though)

thick tailes, in my opinion, are awsome, (dont have any though) they will need a 2ft

unlike knobies and thick-tailes, with marbled gecko's u will need a tite fiiting lid as they climb a lot.

Hey Tara,
For my first gecko i got a pair of Thick Tailed Geckos!
They are a great gecko, and absolutaly love em to bits :) sooo cute when they hunt down their food.
Tank Size: I keep mine in a 45cmx45xcmx45cm but you can fit a pair in a 2ft long x 1ft wide x 1ft tall tank easily.

Food: Hatchlings should be eating pin heads whilst adults medium sized crickets.

Substrate: I think the URS Red Desert Sand is a great substrate as it hardens, and makes great ways to build burrows !

On the warm side, i keep the temperature around the 28 deg. area, then the cool side room temparature, feed them every couple of days, and also spray them everycouple of days, try to spray down the sides of the tank as they will drink the droplets, mine are currently breeding with 2 eggs already in the incubator, these geckos are a hardy species, and a great first gecko!I may even be selling a pair of unsexed hatchlings when they hatch at around $140 ea(they cost $150-$180 over in WA) So if you need any more help with geckos just give me a PM and i'd be happy to help :D
Thanks,
Chris

So if ya need any more help just PM me :) :p

I will have plenty of geckos on offer soon, inc. thicktails, knobtails, 3x sp Oedura, stones, golden tails, Katherine Spiny's...a few more maybe...

If you can find something that you like, that is local to the area, it will make life a bit easier as you won't have as much to worry about with heating / cooling / humidity etc. Unless of course you are in a sealed, airconditioned house.
Good luck!

I would recommend knob tail geckos nephrurus levis levis or thick tail geckos underwoodusaurus milli as great starter geckos.
I currently own a pair of smooth knob tail geckos and have eggs in the incubator cooking now

Good starter geckos : Knob tail geckos or Thick tail geckos

Tank size : 2 foot by 1 foot would house a adult trio.

Feeding on : Crickets, Woodies or Mealworms.

Substrate : Desert Sand or Washed Sand.

Both geckos should have their temps roughly around 28-30 degrees hot end. Mist everycouple of days. Water bowl needed and a couple of hides.

Jake

Depending on what you like and how much u wanna spend it can range from thickies to S.swani that i breed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back