Best first turtle

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pythonmum

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I've been keeping pythons for years, but want to get a turtle next year. Any advice on recommended species (Class 1 NSW), prices or sellers? I'm not sure where to start and welcome any advice.

Emydura Macquarii (Murray Short Neck Turtle) or Chelodina Longicollis (Eastern Snake Neck Turtle/Eastern Long Neck Turtle.)

murray short neck or eastern long neck are what most people start with. they are easy to care for and both look great and can get very well adapted to handling.
you should be able to get either of these ones for $70 or less.

Thanks guys. Either species sounds good - now to find a vendor! I'd prefer to start with a yearling, but may have to go for a hatchie....

the turtle town in sydney sells quality turtles. and its great to see all the ponds they have there!
they have a website. just search turtle town sydney in google.

I just checked out the website for Turtle Town - excellent! I'll have to take a good look in person. I love all of the ponds. We have an outdoor fishpond, but if the kookaburras keep eating the goldfish, it might be better to fence it off and make it a pond for a larger turtle. However, I might have to add the UV filtration to the biological system we currently have.

I have a Kreffts, he has great personality, never tried to bite. He's nearly 3 years old now :) I can take him outside and let him walk/run around on the grass and he'll kinda follow me; either walk over my feet and circle my legs or if I'm sitting he'll climb into my lap. quite a character :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back