Best UV globe for lizards?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

morpheus21

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering what is the best UV bulb to get for lizards. I am currently using Zoo-med repti basking spot lamp but 1 bulb has already blown and it really doesnt seem like i have had it for that long. Just wonderin gwhat are the lights that other people use?

thanx

Morpheus - Don't waste your money on Zoo-med basking spots mate - Just a normal Phillips spot globe from the supermarket is fine when used in conjunction with a UV tube (a sylvania for eg). And of course natural sunlight when poss.

Can't remeber which brand I got, but it last for 3000 hours, and it has good heat...I'll see if I can find the box :)

i agree don't waste money on the "name" brands just get the appropriate wattage from your local supermarket.Plus it'll cost about $5-6 compaired to $25-35.

They talkin about uvb/uva lights for lizards, can't get them for woolies unfortunaly.
I just use a reflector globe(from woolies) and a repti-sun uvb 5.0 been using them for years and they work well.
I haven't had time to start trying Mercury Vapour Bulbs yet but i plan on doing so soon.

Do the reflector globes have the same Heat Noone?

The reflectors have the same heat, yes. I've seen a few articles (I'll try to find them) about MVB's causing blisters on the lizards eyes and causing blindness. Not worth the risk IMO. A sylvania reptistar or Zoomed reptisun used with a $3.50 globe from the supermarket is the go for me :). Tried and true by breeders for years.

jmbrimer
I've heard good things about them but my main concern is they can't be used with a thermostat.
I would be interested to see some articles about and bad side effects, you would have to think that blistering would be a result of over heating or burning maybe like sun burn.
I've been using the same setup for years and it hasn't let me down yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back